Answered

Sonos Port / Era 100 Connection to Sony Receiver

• 5 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Hello!

Brand new Sonos user here. Quick question on the connection of my Port / two Era 100 speakers to a Sony Receiver I have. 

We recently converted a detached garage into a “party room” of sorts. We got two Era 100 speakers to use with a TV as well as Port to use with turntable, cassette deck, and CD player. 

I have TT, cassette deck, and CD player in a Sony STRDH190 receiver. I’ve connected the Port to the receiver and can get all records, tapes, and CDs to play in the Era 100 speakers. 

The volume can only be controlled through Sonos and I’ve tried various combinations of “Fixed” “Pass-Through” and “Variable” as recommended in other posts. It’s almost as if the receiver is just a big “switch box” now letting me select between inputs but not impacting the sound in anyway. 

My question is have I set it up incorrectly? I would like to have the receiver be able to control the volume / tone as well. I feel like what I’m hoping for is impossible or I’m missing some very easy step!

The current set up is:

RCA cable at Port “In” and Sony “Out” with turntable on Sony “Phono” input and cassette and CD in Sony inputs 1 & 2. 

Worth noting there are no other speakers in garage. Only the two Era 100 for now. 

Thanks everyone!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 5 January 2024, 21:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

No, you’ve set it up correctly. The Sony’s treble and bass controls will only affect devices hooked to the Sony’s speaker posts. Most people do not want those controls to affect anything connected to the other line outs, so manufacturers leave those as untouched.

If you want to affect the color of your Sonos speaker’s output, you’d need to do so in the controller app itself, by going to settings >[Room name] > EQ and make your adjustments there. 

Thank you! I am obviously no expert but figured there was no other way to set it up so it works.