Sonos Port between a Turntable Audiotechnica with preamp and a Denom AV receiber. Doesn’t work.

• 1 February 2024
  • 8 replies

Because the turntable is sensible to vibrations while is connected to a Receiver, and I already have a Sonos audio system (Sonos Arc+Subwoofer; Sonos Beam), I bought Sonos port to connect Phono with preamp to Sonos wifi network at home away the big speakers of Denon AV receiver. The Sonos system works Ok, but connecting Port (out) to analog connection “not-phono” of receiver doesn’t sound OK. (For example: Media IN RCA). HOW should config Sonos Port to get out correct IN sound of receiver?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I don’t understand the phrase: Sonos wifi network at home away the big speakers of Denon AV receiver. 

In general, the turntable should be attached to the Denon’s phono input without a pre-amp, and the Port should be connected to a tape loop on the Denon, with the Port’s line out connected to the tape input on the Denon, and the Port’s line in connected to the tape output on the Denon. 

At a louder volume, the Big Speakers and Subwoofer connected wired to the receiver Denon, makes vibrations that “move the needle” of the turntable, making it “jump”. Because of that, I bought Sonos Port to connect the turntable preamp to Sonos (away) Wifi System of speakers. Now I tried to connect Sonos port to the Receiver (other connection not Phono for example Media) but the sound is not good. Something is wrong on the Sonos Port output configuration, apparently.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The description “the sound is not good” does not help people to help you. What exactly does “not good” mean to you? To what connection on the receiver did you connect the Port? What is the volume of the Port set to?

What is your turntable currently connected to?

Line out from the Port is connected to what on the Denon? Line in on the Port is connected to what on the Denon?

Which Denon is it?

The turntable is: Audio-technica Lp60xbt Black.

The receiver is: Receiver Avr 7.2ch 4k Denon AVR-S750H.

Sonos Port IN is connected from Turntable out (preamp activated). Sonos Port OUT is connected to Analog Audio IN Media Player.

Thanks

I’m looking at the back of this device on the Amazon website.

I don’t see any outputs other than for a Subwoofer (RCA), and a bunch of HDMI ports, and of course speaker posts. 

You could conceivably connect the Sonos Port’s line out to either of the assignable line ins that are labeled 1 CBL/SAT or 2 MEDIA PLAYER, but I see no outputs on this receiver to connect to the Port’s line in. There just isn’t a line level line out there. 

This receiver just isn’t designed to fully connect a device like the Sonos Port. You can get data in to the receiver from the Port, but no data will come out from the receiver to the Port. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Going back to the beginning here.

It sounds like you bought the Port so you could hook your turntable to it ||| at a location away from your Denon receiver.

-- The first part of that, hook to the Port, will work as long as you have a pre-amp, either built into the turntable or an external one.

-- The second part, “away” isn’t going to work as the Port is not a remote connection device. While you will be able to get the turntable sound into the Port and the Sonos wireless system there is nothing to get it back out at the Denon’s location. You’d need a second Port connected to the Denon’s tape loop to get the sound into it.

You might be good with just a pre-amp at the turntable and long well shielded RCA cables to one of the Denon’s line-in connections if a second Port isn’t possible.

Thank’s Stan. My question is about the SONOS PORT OUTPUT RCA, because the quality of the analog signal must be good enough to hook directly to a non preamp RCA INPUT of Denon Receiver and get the perfect sound like connecting the turntable to receiver. This point doesn’t work.

If I isolated better the turntable, I wish get the audio by two ways at same time: Sonos speakers (by WiFI Sonos port), and Receiver Speakers (by wired RCE Receiver from OUTPUT Sonos Port). This connection apparently is not possible. I think that Sonos port output config must fix it.