Sonos Play 1 won't connect

• 16 December 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

This is extremely frustrating.

Installed new wifi last night - went to reconnect my sonos speakers and used the prescribed process - found an ethernet cable, hooked it up, nothing, over and over again for an hour - two different speakers same problem.

So I finally got fed up with it and reset the speakers using the hold play button while plugging it back in until green LED shows up.  Hey guess what? that doesn’t work either.

I’ve tried every combination of wired and wireless to set these up on my network. “Resetting the router” isn’t really an option since my kids are e-learners.

I’m using an AT&T (Arris?) modem/router with Circle Home Pro connected that feeds to Google WiFi (3 nodes).  App is installed on iPhone XR.  This all worked fine prior to last night.

I have reset the speakers and the apps multiple times.  When wired, it gets to the step that it says connecting your speaker and then says lost the connection and nothing can get past that step.  When wireless, it gets through WiFi connection but then says the device may not appear in my system and I need to unplug and re plug the speaker to fix that.  Doing so fixes nothing.  I have run the process with and without removing all Sonos devices from Circle Home Plus.  All devices that add to CHP are automatically “approved” until I reassign them (I have not reassigned them)

I bought these speakers because I was tired of troubleshooting Amazon’s mess.  Now I feel like I’m back in the exact same boat only I spent WAY MORE MONEY on these speakers.

So. Frustrated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 1

trying to figure out things I haven’t tried…

I set up the speaker on my iphone’s hotspot using the ipad as the app.  It worked.  I was not able to transfer the speaker to my home network.

also I tested the network cable on a computer and confirmed it works.  I have tried the cable method with multiple speakers and always get the same result.

Userlevel 1

this just gets more ridiculous as we go.

so after connecting to the iphone hotspot and getting the device to play something, I tried to reconnect it to my home network.  The app said that failed, but I pressed the play button on the device anyways… and it worked…

the iphone still can’t find the system.  the ipad still can’t find the system.  but it’s playing music.

so I pulled up the sonos app on my win10 PC and holy smokes - it found the system!

and all of that only worked because the speaker was connected via ethernet.  unplug ethernet, dead.

Userlevel 1

doing some more research this appears to be a google wifi issue although i do not yet understand the solution.

Userlevel 1

and now I’m seeing that I have to sell these speakers.  To say I’m pissed would be an understatement.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Who told you to sell the speakers? Have you tried cable connection a Sonos device, so it’ll start a Sonosnet? Or tried a Sonos Boost?

Userlevel 1

Who told you to sell the speakers? Have you tried cable connection a Sonos device, so it’ll start a Sonosnet? Or tried a Sonos Boost?

It just doesn’t work with Google WiFi.  You can *make* it work but I don’t have the kind of patience to jump through those hoops.

Hi JCwilla

Was about to post in a new thread when I saw your post.

Here goes

I’m not so sure about the google wifi. Because….

This morning my Play:1 just wouldn’t connect to my wifi. So I have jumped through all the same hoops as you. Ended up resetting the device as you did. power off >  hold button > power on > white > amber until green. Resetting the Sonos 2 app (50 times now). But nothing works.

I have pretty must experienced all what you have described. Only thing I can get to work is the cable connection, and by using my work iphone as internet+access point and my private with the sonos2 app. Just as you. Then it works like a charm. Actually it was pretty fast setting up as well.

But on my wifi connections it just wont work. I have a pfsense router/firewall and Unifi access points. I have tried 3 different networks and tested a all clean brand new wifi network as well on 2.4 GHz +  5GHz. Nothing works.

On my pfsense I have access to some DHCP logs.  It seems that during the setup process, the speaker tries to acquire an IP address one the network the sonos2 app is running on, and is offered one from the DHCP server on my pfsense box. This goes on for 30 seconds or so. Asks for an IP address, get one offered, then asks again 5-6 times. Offered one (the same of course) every time. Then the error appears on the iPhone/Sonos2 app. I try to disconnect the speaker and power up again. Does not work. Then all stops here. I have tried an 2 iphones and one ipad Pro. All on iOS 14.3.

When reading about your experience and comparing to my own, I am pretty sure it must be a software update somewhere. It is not our local network / router configuration that is the problem! We have totally different router/access point setups, but experiencing almost the exact same problems.

So i am on ethernet cable for now. Hoping for at fix soon. I do only own one speaker so I will survive on ethernet cable for now.