Skip to main content
Answered

sonos one problems

• 2 August 2023
  • 7 replies

I have a Sonos music system in my house. It is comprised of 16 Sonos connect version 1 units. I have had trouble with the system recently. Some of the connect units seem to have failed all at once. We have purchased new units but they have not all worked either. Is there a known problem that could be causing this? Do you know if there is a hood resource for solving this problem? At this point 9 of the units have stopped working.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

@Hwashburn,

I haven’t personally noticed anyone else recently raising a similar issue in the community here - if there was such an issue, I would not only expect the forum to be bombarded with posts, but I would have thought all your devices would have stopped working, rather than some.

It’s unusual for a batch of any products to suddenly stop working. Are they all in the same location? Could it be an overheating issue, or perhaps a local networking connection issue?

More information is needed, are they powering on? What are the Status LED’s showing? How are they connecting to the LAN? Any switches involved in their network connection etc?

My suspicion is duplicate IPs on some units, expressed after software updates.

But there is a lot that is confusing about the post. It starts with a claim of 16 S1 CONNECTS, but then there is a statement about replacing some of them (with Sonos Ports, I assume, since the CONNECT is no longer made), but that is S2 only. Finally, there is a tag that suggests a Sonos One, which isn’t mentioned before. 

Perhaps more clarity would be helpful?

Thank you for your response.  I was able to get 2 sonos one units online.  I put them into the system to replace the two that stopped working.  Everything was good for a bit (a few weeks, I believe).  Then we started to have problems again and another 5 zones went down.  We tried to troubleshoot the 5 sonos one units, including by calling Sonos support, but could not get the zones/units to work.

Thank you for your response.  I was able to get 2 sonos one units online.  I put them into the system to replace the two that stopped working.  Everything was good for a bit (a few weeks, I believe).  Then we started to have problems again and another 5 zones went down.  We tried to troubleshoot the 5 sonos one units, including by calling Sonos support, but could not get the zones/units to work.

Where you mention the ‘5 zones went down’, do you mean they lose power and shut-down completely and do not work at all, or are you referring to an SSDP ‘device discovery’ where they are still online/powered-on and can be seen as connected to your router, but the Sonos App is not discovering them on the network?

If it’s a discovery issue, then it can be a multitude of things, but perhaps first check if the routers DHCP server is assigning the missing devices with an IP address and if they are powered on and connected to the LAN. Are any Sonos devices wired to the LAN in your setup? 

Ken, thank you.  when I say went down, I mean that they are plugged in and powered up and connected to the network and show up on the iphone app.  However, they do nothing when i try to play music into those zones.

None of my devices are wired into the LAN.

Hope that clarifies..

Thanks for your help.

I would first try simply powering off all Sonos devices but also power off your router and any other wireless access points. Then bring them back online one at a time in this order…

1. Router
  2. Sonos devices (one device at a time)

Do not power on any other WiFi access points (if used) at this stage and when powering things on, let them connect and settle before powering on the next device.

When all are back up and running open the Sonos App from a fully closed state on your mobile device and then see if it shows all your products and will play something .. try Sonos Radio ..and post back if that then works for you.

We were able to purchase 5 used units on Ebay.  Four ended up connecting successfully.  For some reason, the fifth would not connect.  We combined two zones into one of the units and now have sonos back in all of the various zones.

Thank you for your help.