Sonos One keeps disconnecting from app and my phone on Airplay

• 24 June 2021
  • 3 replies

My Sonos One works perfectly when I’m just using it to stream radio / music but when I try and play something from my phone using Airplay firstly it will only connect about 50% of the time.  It always shows the sonos one in the list of airplay alternatives but wont connect.  When this happens I then try and use the same phone to connect to the Sonos app - this also fails but when I use the app to rectify the problem it will then connect.  I can then connect my music app on iPhone to the sonos and it will start playing but after a few songs it will disconnect again.  Does anyone have any ideas please?

Some more info:I’m using a BT Homehub which I have physically connected to a second router in a different room for WiFi coverage.  This second router uses the same ID and password.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

My Sonos One works perfectly when I’m just using it to stream radio / music but when I try and play something from my phone using Airplay firstly it will only connect about 50% of the time.  It always shows the sonos one in the list of airplay alternatives but wont connect.  When this happens I then try and use the same phone to connect to the Sonos app - this also fails but when I use the app to rectify the problem it will then connect.  I can then connect my music app on iPhone to the sonos and it will start playing but after a few songs it will disconnect again.  Does anyone have any ideas please?

Some more info:I’m using a BT Homehub which I have physically connected to a second router in a different room for WiFi coverage.  This second router uses the same ID and password.

Is the second router using a different network subnet? … if that is the case, then you have two different WiFi access points using the same WiFi credentials that are likely causing issues with Airplay, which only operates on a single subnet. I would just switch off your second router as a test to begin with, just to see if that resolves all your issues.

Hi Ken, The second router is a dedicated AP (a Ubiquiti AP AC LITE) so pretty sure its on the same subnet.   I will try your suggestion of switching off the AP and see if that makes a difference.  My set up currently uses this one AP for good wifi coverage throughout the house and then I also use Devolo powerlines for Ethernet connections elsewhere.

I don’t know too much about ubiquiti AP’s, but have read in other threads that you may have to switch on multicasting on that AP in its settings and switch off Airtime Fairness too. See this thread: