Skip to main content

hello there

i have just created a google mesh wifi (not google nest) and now want to connect my Sonos system to that, my problem is in order to change wifi network i have to plug an ethernet cable in to the new network router which in this case is the google mesh, but the mesh only has one port which is to be connected to the main internet router, so basically Sonos is not compatible with Google mesh ? can someone help me pleae, i go in to network settings on the app and the only wifi network it sees is the current one/old one which i no longer want to use for wifi.

many thanks

Hi

I have the Google mesh setup up as per the diagram below (Substitute your main router for the 4G router.).  The Google device has two ethernet ports In and Out, your main router will allocate an IP address to the Google Mesh only and then the Google DHCP will control the remainder of IP allocations.

Edit:

Make sure that you turn wi-fi OFF on your main router.

thanks for your help but google system has no other ethernet ports so u cannot connect anything to it, the only ethernet port is just to connect it to the main router, so now i have to connect my speakers to the old network and then on my phone swap networks to  make sure speaker and app are on the same network

Please see below the underneath of my Google Mesh unit. Is yours different?

Please see the specs from the Google web site, showing dual Ethernet ports:

https://store.google.com/gb/product/nest_wifi_specs

oh ok yes that is the same thanks for showing, i am not the tech expert apols, so can i connect my sonos speaker via ethernet in to the google mesh hub ? either the primary one or a satellite one ? and then sonos will see the new mesh network ?

Connect your router to the primary (green) port and your Sonos device to the other port (blue).

ok really apprexiated your hel here, the speaker is now connected to the other port which is grey not blue my phone is connected to the new wifi network but the speaker cannot find the new network

Have you turned off wi-fi on your main Router? Is your phone connected to the 2.4ghz wi-fi signal?

my phone right now is connected to the google network am not sure if 2.5 or 5 ? and the sonos app now has ghosted out the settings option

i can turn off the main router wifi if that is needed i had done that originally as no longer use and thats how i have become stuck, wifi on the main router is now back on and sonos speakers work through that fine but signal is not great hence the mesh idea

Let's step back a bit here.

As you have connected a Sonos device via an Ethernet cable, your Sonos devices now use their own mesh network called Sonos net. When doing this, it's best if you don't have wi-fi credentials entered into your Sonos App. All of your devices will now connect to your Google mesh network and not your main router.  Are you sure that your phone is connected to your Google wi-fi and not your main router?

hi there so i did again as you suggested and turned off my main router wifi, the sonos speaker then managed to play music connected via cable to the google router, after that i went through the wifi setup for the new google it had found and it was plain sailing like normal, so many thanks for your time and efforts that did the trick ! very helpful.