Question

Sonos Move Not Showing in App.

• 14 August 2020
  • 17 replies

Hi

My Sonos Move is regularly not visible on my System i.e. it’s not an option on the S2 App. I also have a Sonos Boost installed.

The move is an expensive piece of kit and this should not be happening. Please advise, diagnostic number 1564751572 has been submitted.

Regards

Matt

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @MLArnall.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this situation to our attention.

I would like to share with you according to the submitted diagnostic, the Sonos Move is online and still currently online connected to the Sonos servers.

I would highly recommend trying these basic troubleshooting steps:

1. Reboot router: Unplug from power and plug it back after 10-15 secs.
  2. Reboot Sonos device: starting with the speaker connected to the router via Ethernet cable. Unplug from power and plug it back after 10-15 secs.
  3. Force close and relaunch Sonos app: close the app from running background application and re-open Sonos App.
  4. Check light status make sure everything is on solid white light.
  5. Submit diagnostics: To further check what is going on and what could possibly be other tips we could consider.

Please let me know the results. We will always be happy to help.

Thanks,

I tried this and it did not work. I don’t have the boost though. I can’t connect and it won’t find my product to connect either 

If you don’t have the BOOST, what Sonos devices do you have? How were they connected originally? Have you tried plugging an Ethernet cable between your router and one of the Sonos devices? Have you tried a network refresh by unplugging all Sonos devices you have, then rebooting the router, and plugging back in the Sonos devices once the router comes back up?

Hi @Paul A 

Thank you for your reply.

Your suggestions don’t work sorry. Even if they did, it’s not practical to repeat those steps every time the app does not display the Move.

For info, my router runs various other devices without issue.

In short, the Move is still on frequent occasions not showing on the app. Any further suggestions please? A new diagnostic code for you - 1542670537.

Kind regards

Matt

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @MLArnall.

Thanks for the immediate and detailed response and for submitting a diagnostic.

Based on the submitted diagnostic, Sonos detected another hardware that provides the same Wifi name as the main router which indicates a Wifi Extender/Booster.repeater, or another router or an access point. If this is the case, I would suggest reaching out to the manufacturer of that secondary router to be configured in bridge mode or access point mode or which option best fits your preference.

• Have each access point have their own unique Wifi name as so you and your mobile controller do not get confused about what and where to connect to access your Sonos system.
  • Disable Wifi Capabilities of the Main router that provides connection directly to your ISP or internet provider.
  • Disable the DHCP or IP-address generation of the Access point and only allow the main router to generate the IP-addresses to avoid IP-address mismatch or IP-address duplicates.
  • Wire a Sonos device to one of the routers/access points to get them to stay on a single network (having each access point have their own unique WiFi names).

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Hi @Paul A 

I am not going to do that.

1. The Wi-fi set up is absolutely fine and successfully runs multiple devices including other Sonos products. What is different about the Move?

2. The secondary hardware you refer to is a BT extender disc. As mentioned, it works fine with everything bar the Move.

3. Regarding your last point. I already have a Sonos Boost connected which is supposed to create a dedicated network for Sonos. Why is this not resolving the issue?

In short, I am not going to dance around the Move, it should work as advertised in line with other Sonos products. It cost £399 and should not have these issues. The suggestions you are making seem generic and do not acknowledge the product flaw.

Thank you for your ongoing assistance.

​​​​​​​Regards

Matt

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @MLArnall.

Thanks for the update and feedback.

The Sonos Move does not connect to the Sonos network, it connects to the internet via 5G which is not supported by the Sonos Net network. I understand your frustration of getting the Access point on bridge mode or access point mode. If they are not configured as recommended We have issues for local communication as the current set up does not allow to do so. I  would also like to suggest either we reach out to other members of the community for a second opinion or you may contact our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps. However, They may have the same recommendation as provided. The rest of the Sonos devices work as they are connected tot he Sonos Boost via the Sonos Net channel network, however, as mentioned the Sonos Move does not connect this way that is why the Sonos Move is not showing on the Sonos App because it is connected to the other network. You may also try these recommendations to test on what is stated might be the issue.

• Turn off Wifi on your mobile phone’s settings.
  • Turn off and turn on your mobile phone or mobile controller.
  • Move closer towards the Sonos Move or to the other access point (BT extender disc).
  • Turn on Wifi and reconnect the Wifi network.
  • Force close and re-open the Sonos App.
  • If the Sonos Move shows on the Sonos app, the rest of the Sonos devices would not.

Or my other recommendation, so they might be on the same network, is to move the Sonos Move closer to the other router where the Sonos Boost is connected.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Hi @Paul A 

Thank you for the reply.

Can you clarify what you mean by connects via 5G please?

Secondly, reply from BT as follows “Whole Home Wi-Fi works in bridge mode which means it does not change the network and works as a set of access points so all traffic can go straight to the router.” Presume this negates the need to configure in bridge/access point mode?

Kind regards

Matt

@Paul A 

PS: at what point pre purchase do Sonos inform customers that the Move will have connection issues unless there is a single access point and that it doesn’t work with Sonos Net?

How would hard wiring a Sonos device help if the Move does not work with Sonos Net?

Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @MLArnall.

Thanks for your immediate response.

“Secondly, reply from BT as follows “Whole Home Wi-Fi works in bridge mode which means it does not change the network and works as a set of access points so all traffic can go straight to the router.” Presume this negates the need to configure in bridge/access point mode?” Yes this negates the requirement to set the Access point on bridge mode. 

“Can you clarify what you mean by connects via 5G please?” usually almost but not all routers come and is capable of dual bandwidth. This means they are capable of generating 2.4G Wifi and 5G WiFi. 2.4G Wifi bandwidth means longer-range but slower bandwidth (capacity to transport data from router to user’s device) 5G means shorter range but larger bandwidth.

If the Manufacturer already indicated they are on bridge mode, We by removing the Sonos Move from the charging bay, press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds, and placing it back on it’s charging bay without pressing any buttons would allow the Sonos Move to power cycle, refresh its current IP-address and reconnect to the same Wifi network. If based on the manufacturer they are already in bridge mode, The Sonos Move should appear on the Sonos App once the Sonos app has been relaunched.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Paul - 

I have to highlight something you’re slightly wrong about. Please stop calling 5 Ghz wifi “5G”, it’s inaccurate and actually confuses the issue. 5G means fifth generation cellular data technology, whereas the Move use 5 Ghz wifi. 

Hi @MLArnall.

Thanks for your immediate response.

“Secondly, reply from BT as follows “Whole Home Wi-Fi works in bridge mode which means it does not change the network and works as a set of access points so all traffic can go straight to the router.” Presume this negates the need to configure in bridge/access point mode?” Yes this negates the requirement to set the Access point on bridge mode. 

“Can you clarify what you mean by connects via 5G please?” usually almost but not all routers come and is capable of dual bandwidth. This means they are capable of generating 2.4G Wifi and 5G WiFi. 2.4G Wifi bandwidth means longer-range but slower bandwidth (capacity to transport data from router to user’s device) 5G means shorter range but larger bandwidth.

If the Manufacturer already indicated they are on bridge mode, We by removing the Sonos Move from the charging bay, press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds, and placing it back on it’s charging bay without pressing any buttons would allow the Sonos Move to power cycle, refresh its current IP-address and reconnect to the same Wifi network. If based on the manufacturer they are already in bridge mode, The Sonos Move should appear on the Sonos App once the Sonos app has been relaunched.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Hi @Paul A 

Thank you again.

Thank you also for clarifying your comment, term 5G was causing confusion

The Move is now showing.

To clarify, is the underlying issue that the Move uses 5Ghz wi-fi and given the router, regardless of being set up correctly, operates on both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz wi-fi the Move does not show when app is connected to 2Ghz wi-if?

Secondly, you previously suggested placing the Move closer to the router. Why would this help? Assume because 5Ghz has a shorter range than 2.4Ghz wi-if?

Thirdly, do Sonos pre warn customers about the 5Ghz situation? It appears to be an non resolvable issue unless the customer is prepared to frequently power off and on and/or place the Move closer to the router when this may not work for the setup.

Finally, are any other Sonos products restricted to 5Ghz wi-if?

Kind regards

Matt

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @MLArnall.

Thanks for the immediate response.

I’m glad that the Sonos Move is now working with your Sonos app.

To clarify, is the underlying issue that the Move uses 5Ghz wi-fi and given the router, regardless of being set up correctly, operates on both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz wi-fi the Move does not show when app is connected to 2Ghz wi-if? If the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are comming from the same router, regarless which Bandwidth your device is connected to, the Sonos Move should appear on the Sonos app. However, if the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz are coming from different routers which in your case it is, the Sonos Move would only appear if you are connected to the same router that the Sonos Move is connected to.

Secondly, you previously suggested placing the Move closer to the router. Why would this help? Assume because 5Ghz has a shorter range than 2.4Ghz wi-if? This step is to somehow force the Sonos Move to connect to the same router that the Sonos Boost is connected to via ethernet cable. If that router is a dualband router which means it is generating both 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz, moving the Sonos Move closer should force the Sonos Move to connect to it’s wireless connection.

Thirdly, do Sonos pre warn customers about the 5Ghz situation? It appears to be an non resolvable issue unless the customer is prepared to frequently power off and on and/or place the Move closer to the router when this may not work for the setup. Sonos does not have this feature of warning customers about the 5 Ghz situation since majority of the routers in the market are dualband router which are capable of braodcasting both 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz. This can easily be resolved if the network is properly set up according to how dual routers are suppossedly set up meaning main router should only have DHCP or IP-address generation active and secondary routers needs to have this feature disabled. 

Finally, are any other Sonos products restricted to 5Ghz wi-if? Nope, Other Sonos products does not have the capabilities of connecting to a 5 Ghz network since the Wifi Card built in is only capalble of connecting and reading 2.4 Ghz WiFi network.

I hope This answers all of your questions.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Hi @Paul A 

Thank you for the detail.

As I have more than one router I would anticipate that this issue may re-occur. Is that correct?

You say that the issue is easily resolved via correct configuration. Please can you provide steps on how I correctly configure by additional BT disc?

Finally, for my knowledge, ref the suggestion of placing the Move closer to the router attached to the Boost. I presume this is because the rest of the Sonos system is run via the Boost? What if my phone connects to this router via 2.4Ghz as opposed to 5Ghz? Move would then not show??

Kind regards

Matt

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @MLArnall.

Thanks for the immediate response.

As I have more than one router I would anticipate that this issue may re-occur. Is that correct? Yes as the issue would depend on your controller where it connects unless you can set the secondary router on Access point mode or bridge mode.  Here is a little explaination on how to set them up so that the issue would no longer re-occur. Let me share with you a topic on this community that discusses multiple routers you can share and ask questions or comments on that topic if something is not clear. 

• Have each access point have their own unique Wifi name as so you and your mobile controller do not get confused about what and where to connect to access your Sonos system.
  • Disable Wifi Capabilities of the Main router that provides connection directly to your ISP or internet provider.
  • Disable the DHCP or IP-address generation of the Access point and only allow the main router to generate the IP-addresses to avoid IP-address mismatch or IP-address duplicates.
  • Wire a Sonos device to one of the routers/access points to get them to stay on a single network (having each access point have their own unique WiFi names).

You say that the issue is easily resolved via correct configuration. Please can you provide steps on how I correctly configure by additional BT dics? You may want to consider my recommendation above.

Finally, for my knowledge, ref the suggestion of placing the Move closer to the router attached to the Boost. I presume this is because the rest of the Sonos system is run via the Boost? What if my phone connects to this router via 2.4Ghz as opposed to 5Ghz? Move would then not show?? As long as the controller/phone is connected to the router’s network where your Sonos boost is connected, the Sonos Move would show no matter if you are connected to the 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz. Moving the Sonos Move closer towards the router where your Sonos Boost is connected gives the Sonos Move more chances of declaring that router to be a better connection that the secondary router which would make the Sonos Move connect to that router once the Sonos Move is power cycled or turned off and turned on. (assuming that the router where the Sonos Boost is connected and the secondary router have the same Wifi Name).

I hope this helps.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Paul A  I am having this same issue having gotten new internet service recently. I tried everything suggested here. My SONOS move is the only speaker not showing on the app. My diagnostic is 1603658630.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Jayne Mansfield.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us and for submitting a diagnostic. I understand that you got a new Internet service provider (ISP) and got a new router however, the Sonos Move is the only device not showing on the Sonos App. Let me help you with that.

I would like to recommend making sure that the Sonos Move placed on its charging bay, then open the Sonos app. make sure that you are connected to the new router that the new ISP has provided on your mobile controller. Open the Sonos App, Go to settings » system » find missing product, and follow the prompts.

Based on the provided diagnostic, you are running the Sonos system on a Ubiquity mesh system. I would like to recommend by provided assistance above to have a permanent fix to this issue.

Hi @MLArnall.

Thanks for the immediate and detailed response and for submitting a diagnostic.

Based on the submitted diagnostic, Sonos detected another hardware that provides the same Wifi name as the main router which indicates a Wifi Extender/Booster.repeater, or another router or an access point. If this is the case, I would suggest reaching out to the manufacturer of that secondary router to be configured in bridge mode or access point mode or which option best fits your preference.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

. Let me share with you a topic on this community that discusses multiple routers you can share and ask questions or comments on that topic if something is not clear. 

I hope this helps.

Please let us know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,