Sonos Move battery draining when powered off

On the Move speaker, I press and hold down the power button until the Move completely powers off and I hear the tone.. I then leave it overnight, powered off and removed form the charger. The next day I switch it back on again and the battery level on the app has decreased by about 5%. This drop in battery power happens every day the move is switched off

This should not be happening if the Move is powered down. I returned the Move and was given a new speaker and yet again this is still happening. 

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

My Moves stay on the charger for months at a time.  They are used as outdoor speakers but get little use in the winter,  I did use them outside last week and the battery capacity seemed as good as when I bought them.  Had them for nearly 3 years now on this regime and they seem fine.

Dear bockersjv as soon as someone is writing about this battery problem you are answering that everything is perfect.  I'm sorry but what you wrote answering to Apikos (If they go to sleep on the battery saver they will last ages) is clearly not thruth. There are also videos of very good tests done on youtube. Some of these are done by guys loving Sonos products but they found that the battery draining is real . 

Of corse depends on how the Move is used. This is why my question was about what to do when I don't use the Move for more than 2 weeks,  for example because i'm not at home. If i'm at home i can use and charge it all the times it's needed. 

To let you better understand the discussion in this topic i'll do an example. I have an ebike.  I can leave it fully charged but not on the charger for 3 months and at the end discover that the battery is still 80% charged.

This is not happening with the Move. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

This is my experience, nothing is perfect and can never be with battery devices that have to adhere to the laws of Physics.  I am merely recounting that I leave my Moves on their charging base between use and the batteries are still fine. So that is an alternative if you are finding them not holding their charge when off the base for more than a week.  The batteries do not seem to have been affected by the constant trickle charge.  You could leave your moves on their charging bases with Smart Plugs at the wall socket then you could turn them on before you return home? Or just have them charge an hour a day?

If I were to leave them OFF the charger for months at an end I would ensure they were fully off but long pressing the power, like I do my Roams.  The Roams loose very little Battery power in this mode, but I don’t do this for the Moves.

What I will say is I find it frustrating the the Move does not have exactly the same functionality as the Roams, and maybe this is also true for the battery management?  After all is said an done it is just a big version of the Roam.  Maybe that is why The Move 2 is being rumoured?  There’s obviously something fundamentally different with the circuitry that means they differ in function and performance. 

But hey I was just giving option to try an help.  Won’t bother again though.