Answered

Sonos Keeps cutting out

• 26 February 2020
  • 6 replies

We use our three Sonos systems in our restaurant and during shifts it keeps cutting out or failing to connect. We have tried resetting the Sonos and we still have the same issue, it has been going on for months and hasnt connexted smoothly in months. There are mutiple phones connect to the system as all the staff members have the app but only, one person yses the app at a time. Why does this issue keep happening and is there anyway to solve this issue? 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 26 February 2020, 21:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

There are two possibilities that spring to mind, and one final suggestion.

First, it is entirely possible that you’re dealing with some sort of wifi interference. Its worth reading through that FAQ and applying what potential solutions that may be possible. Note that human beings are effectively bags of Wi-Fi absorbing water, and it’s possible that your Wi-Fi signal is being hampered by your guests. That’s one of the reasons Sonos is sold as a whole home system, and not a whole restaurant or even event system. These forums are littered with advice from experienced users counseling against using it for parties and weddings.

Second, it is also possible that you’re experiencing duplicate IP address issues. You could test this by unplugging all of the Sonos devices and rebooting your router, then when the router comes back up, plug back in the Sonos. If this indeed fixes your issue, I would encourage you to reserve IP addresses for your Sonos devices in your router’s DHCP table.

Finally, the suggestion….if neither of those two potentials pay off, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing one of these cut outs, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.  

Badge +1

Before you try to fix the wireless issue, try the wired, closed network if a speaker is close enough to the router. All you need to do is simply wire any of your Sonos products to your router with an ethernet cable, and your system will switch over automatically. You will need to keep one of your Sonos products wired to your router permanently in this configuration. Your easiest solution to wireless issues may be to switch to the wired network!

I sure hope, having seen you post the same advice over and over, that you also removed your SSID and password from the Sonos client after going from a wireless to wired setup. It’s a good solution, but anyone doing so should take the extra step, so there isn’t a chance of the Sonos system waffling between the two connection methods. 

Badge +1

I did! Thank you! 

Hello @ascottsbromsgrove. Welcome to the Community. I understand you are having some problems with audio stopping and skipping. @Airgetlam was correct with his initial suggestion on looking at our article on wireless interference. However, in order for us to fully grasp your issue, and work towards a resolution. Please submit a diagnostic report of your system, and reply back with the confirmation number. 

Having same issue all of the sudden just with listening to the TV? Diagnostic number 1346925888