Answered

Sonos is skipping songs and we also are having difficulties getting the songs playing on all of the speakers at the same time

• 8 April 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi, 

We got 4 sonos player 1 speakers in the flat. Since December 2019 when using sonos the songs skip to the next song before finishing (this occours with Spotify, YouTube Music and Sound cloud through the sonos app). E.g. We can't search and play a spesific song without the song skip before being played through. If we liste to a channel or radio through sonos it normally works fine so it has something to do with the app and not interference. We also tried to play sonos directly from Spotify to the speakers without the app and it seem to work fine. In other words it is the app and not the wifi that is the problem. 

I have Sony phone that I use and my girlfriend has an Iphone. We have used the same phones for a year now and the problem started in December. 

We are also having trouble with getting all 4 speakers to play at the same time. Strangely, the speaker next to the wifi is the one with the most trouble and the one furter aways normally got connection.

We have tried to re-install the speakers and app one the phones with no luck. 

Please help us! 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 8 April 2020, 18:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

sounds like some network issues.

ARe any of the Play:1s near your router where you can hook one up to it by ethernet cable to see how it does running its own sonosnet.

ARe any of the Play:1s near your router where you can hook one up to it by ethernet cable to see how it does running its own sonosnet.

I have tried with an ethernet cable everytime we try to reset the network. I don't understand how it can be a network issues based on the the problems we experience. After reading through old posts, it looks like many other have had the dame issue as us…

I too think this is possibly a changed local WiFi signal, or wireless interference around your Sonos devices. I would strongly urge you to try a different ‘fixed’ non-overlapping 2.4ghz WiFi channel on your router (either channel 1, 6 or 11). Try each of the three channels for 20-30 minutes to see if the situation improves.

Better still however, is to consider cabling a single Sonos device to your router (if practicable) to move all your Sonos products over to the internal SonosNet network signal, but then there are other things you will still need to do, as stated below...

If you do decide to opt for SonosNet, which I tend to recommend, then also do these additional things:

1. Set the SonosNet channel in “Settings/System/Network” of the Sonos App so that it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router 2.4ghz channel.
  2. Remove/reset the WiFi credentials in the Sonos App “SettingsSystem/Network/Wireless Setup”. These are not needed when running the devices on SonosNet. However do not do this if you have a Sonos Move speaker that is using your 2.4ghz connection.

One further useful thing I would choose to do, is to add the Sonos IP addresses to your networks' DHCP Reservation Table… this is an optional, but worthwhile, step.

Hopefully that will then resolve your speaker dropout issues.

I too think this is possibly a changed local WiFi signal, or wireless interference around your Sonos devices. I would strongly urge you to try a different ‘fixed’ non-overlapping 2.4ghz WiFi channel on your router (either channel 1, 6 or 11). Try each of the three channels for 20-30 minutes to see if the situation improves.

Better still however, is to consider cabling a single Sonos device to your router (if practicable) to move all your Sonos products over to the internal SonosNet network signal, but then there are other things you will still need to do, as stated below...

If you do decide to opt for SonosNet, which I tend to recommend, then also do these additional things:

1. Set the SonosNet channel in “Settings/System/Network” of the Sonos App so that it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router 2.4ghz channel.
  2. Remove/reset the WiFi credentials in the Sonos App “SettingsSystem/Network/Wireless Setup”. These are not needed when running the devices on SonosNet. However do not do this if you have a Sonos Move speaker that is using your 2.4ghz connection.

One further useful thing I would choose to do, is to add the Sonos IP addresses to your networks' DHCP Reservation Table… this is an optional, but worthwhile, step.

Hopefully that will then resolve your speaker dropout issues.

Many thanks for your reply.

I will try this. Just a Quick question, your solution is to why some of the speakers don't work (not why the songs skip before ending)? I played a few songs now and when the songs skip it says that the song is not correctly encrypted (translated from norwegian). This happens both with songs from Spotify and YouTube Music in the sonos app that I have put in a music list that I have created and also when I search a and play a specific song on the sonos app.

Many thanks again for your help. 

Best

Jan

@MarteogLevy Thank you for bringing your concerns to us here and welcome to the Sonos Community. The peers are providing you great steps to try,but I would like to point out that sometimes the simple steps are the best ones to take. You do not have an up to date diagnostic report but we can see from previous submitted reports that you were showing network communication issues for your Sonos products. Before you go ahead with the steps provided by Ken_Griffiths I would ask that you try these steps first:

1. Power off/on your modem/router(s)/extender(s)/access point(s) for 30 seconds with no lights on.
  2. As they are powering on then power off/on your Sonos products with no lights for 15 seconds.
  3. As they are powering on then re-boot the device(s) running the Sonos app.

This will give you a refreshed wifi network and refreshed Sonos devices on that wifi network. You can then re-connect to the Sonos app and test music for 30 minutes and report back here with an updated diagnostic report number and how/if the testing steps helped out.

You can then also test Ken_Griffiths steps with correcting for wifi interference and then testing one of your Play:1 units Ethernet wired to the router. After you have Ethernet wired one Sonos product please power re-boot the others off/on for 10 seconds to confirm that they have joined Sonosnet. You can then test playback again and adjust the Sononsnet channel as Ken_Griffiths has provided.

Userlevel 1

I have had this same problem recently.  Posting my solution here, for those that might need it, in addition to the OP answered solution.

Well, in the end, this problem of Sonos instability and speakers not all joining quickly when grouped, songs skipping regularly, was solved by pulling the one ethernet cable out of the central speaker, and forcing Sonos to use the house wifi for all music streaming.  Everything is rock solid now. 

Normally, conventional thinking is to use ethernet connection whenever possible.  But in my case, and I’m sure others, the conversion of your system to SonosNet when you do this, can cause some distant speakers to not operate smoothly.

This likely only works in a robust mesh wifi system, like we have running here (central wifi router, 4 distal wifi points, each ethernet backhauled).  Even with all 16 speakers playing music, I am stilling getting gig speeds to my other devices on the network.

For some having the problems described, you might try ditching the ethernet connections, see if notice a positive change.

Stephen