Skip to main content

All - have opted for the Sonos (Sonance) amp and x6 in-celing speakers for my kitchen / dining / snug area. Looking for suggestions as to where best to place the speakers. 

The floor area of the kitchen, dining, snug is 88m2, with part of the celing being pitched / vaulted (as annotated in red on the floor plan). There is also a roof lantern (annotated in green on the plan)

Will be looking to use the system to play music via various streaming services (apps) and also watching TV (the tv will be located in the snug area, as annotated in the plan, have also annotated sofa / dining table location.

Welcome suggestions for placing the 6 speakers, assume 

Hi @Parmar65, welcome to the Sonos Community!

If you’re going down this route, then I’d be happy to help assist, however I do have some suggestions and information that may benefit you regarding this setup.

Since you would be using one Sonos Amp to drive these 6x in-ceiling speakers, that means whatever is playing on one will play on all the others. There isn’t an option to stop audio going to certain speakers and while this likely wouldn’t matter regarding the kitchen and dining area, the Snug area with the TV is where you may run into some issues.

As you will only have a single Amp for TV audio, the most you’ll get is stereo. However, due to the speakers also being placed in the kitchen and dining area, you’d likely want dual-mono mode enabled on the Amp as this is recommended for open spaces, but will lose the stereo sound.

What I would recommend is to use a Soundbar instead with the TV and 4x in-ceiling speakers for the kitchen dining area. This way you’ll be able to have stereo for TV, and can group the Amp and Soundbar together for music playback. You could also go for another Amp for the TV and have it controlling 2x in-ceiling speakers, again giving you the separation and allowing you to have stereo for the TV. Both of these options will allow you to upgrade to a surround setup in the future if you choose to.

Regarding placement of the in-ceiling speakers, and if you are using them for TV, you’ll need one on the left and one on the right as a single Amp will receive the front left/right TV audio channels so having them placed to either side of the TV will give you the best sound experience.

I also think you’ll be fine with just two speakers between the dinning and kitchen area, with one near or above the dining table and the other near or above the kitchen island. 

I hope this information helps!

Jamie - thank-you for your helpful suggestions, the recommendation of opting for a sound bar is something I have previously considered and is an item I will purchase in the near future, with is being a modular system I understand I can add components easily at a later date.

Agree regarding the speaker placement and noting the left and right channels.