Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos forgetting music queue: "No music selected"

• 7 January 2021
  • 6 replies

I’ve had Sonos for YEARS now.  Recently, I feel a little bit after the split of S1 vs S2, I’ve been experiencing an issue where my speakers forget what they were last playing when they were last stopped, as if power had been lost and came back on again.

For example, the Sonos One speaker in my bathroom typically is used to play one of several Pandora stations.  Over the past several weeks, when I try to resume the speaker, it will just “bee-boop” alerting me that the app will say “No music selected”.  So I go into the app (or ask Alexa) to play a Pandora station while I get ready for the day.  When I’m finished in the bathroom, I hit the button on the top of speaker to pause the music.  The next day when I go back into the bathroom to start the music again...”bee-boop”.

Is this an app issue, or a network issue, or something else?

Diag: 2137729814

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I suspect something related to Pandora. Does it do this for other sources?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes, it does it for other sources too, including Apple Music.

I also have a Beam in my home gym that is primarily set to play the line-in from a Connect.  The Connect’s line-in takes input from a mixer (3 Bluetooth receivers - Peloton Bike, Peloton Tread, Tonal).  This Sonos group is often dropped without any interaction from me….again, as if we lost power to the whole house.

If does sound as if the players have restarted then, as this would clear any current source. A power outage could account for this, or potentially a temporary loss of a WiFi connection.

Userlevel 2
Badge

If does sound as if the players have restarted then, as this would clear any current source. A power outage could account for this, or potentially a temporary loss of a WiFi connection.

When you say ‘temporary loss of a WiFi connection’ I’m assuming you mean the WiFi SonosNet, correct?  None of the speakers in my system are connected to my WiFi network.  Instead, I have a Boost hardwired into my main enterprise network switch to bridge the SonosNet with my home network.

Hopefully, the diagnostic can point to what, if anything, is dropping out.

Ah, okay. SonosNet should survive, say, a router reboot without disturbing the Sonos devices.

Over to the tech support guys to pore over the logs in your diagnostic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @dperovic 

We no longer look at diagnostics here on the forum as any advice coming from doing so is usually far too specific to one user (you). As this wasn’t the case when you originally posted, I had a look at them for you. Thankfully, the advice fits anyone having a similar issue, barring other possible causes.

The speaker is not rebooting - it’s been on for 28 days, just like the rest. If it was, however, that would clear the queue as @ratty said.

I am seeing DNS resolution times of 5000+ milliseconds, so I definitely recommend a reboot of your router - please switch it off for at least 30 seconds. Switching off the Boost while doing so may help too. Please switch the Boost back on when you have internet again and wait about 2 minutes for the Sonos system to rebuild it’s network. Although the DNS resolution time probably isn’t the cause, it sure indicates that not all is well for the router - 99% of the time, a reboot sorts this out.

Routers that never need a reboot are very expensive, so I recommend you repeat this several times a year, regardless of whether you perceive any issues or not.

Please reboot the speaker too, as it won’t hurt and may help.