Answered

Sonos Five disconnects after unplugged

• 2 January 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hi, 

My Sonos five gets disconnected from my app and system after the power is unplugged or the router goes out (recently shut the power off for renovations a few times). 

I have to put the speaker to factory reset, sync it, then return and update my settings. 

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Mark P 2 January 2021, 20:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Dsugar.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community since you already tried some troubleshooting steps let me try to assist you.

Once you turn off any Sonos speakers it needs some time to reconnect again to your wifi connection, have you tried at least 3-5min to see if the speaker will show up again or not?

If the speaker is showing a flashing green light after powering up, you'll need to add it back to your system.

Also if possible to hardwire one of the speaker directly to the router for the speaker to get a better signal or so called SonosNet

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Badge

I waited about a day after trying to use it so it should of course connect to my wifi network. 

it’s showing a white solid line, if I press the play or pause button nothing happens, it just makes the chime noise. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Try assigning it a static IP using your router’s DHCP page. Power down the Sonos, reboot router and controller, power up the Sonos.

Badge

@Mark P 

thanks for your answer. 
Over the course of setting up my den system that has my beam. It appears that when I unplug my beam. That’s what removes my five from my system list.

also still have the same unplug issue with my five not reconnecting. I can leave it for days and it still doesn’t connect

Badge

Try assigning it a static IP using your router’s DHCP page. Power down the Sonos, reboot router and controller, power up the Sonos.

Tried that. No luck :(

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Dsugar

Sounds like your Five may not be configured to connect to the WiFi in that case - is the Beam connected to the network via Ethernet cable?

If so, you can go to Settings > System > Network > Wireless Setup, and configure the Five to connect to the WiFi. 

If you’re still having trouble, it may be worth getting in touch with the Support team via either phone or chat - they’ll be able to narrow down what could be causing this with a system diagnostic.

Badge

Hi @Dsugar

Sounds like your Five may not be configured to connect to the WiFi in that case - is the Beam connected to the network via Ethernet cable?

If so, you can go to Settings > System > Network > Wireless Setup, and configure the Five to connect to the WiFi. 

If you’re still having trouble, it may be worth getting in touch with the Support team via either phone or chat - they’ll be able to narrow down what could be causing this with a system diagnostic.

Thanks Xander,

the beam is not hooked up via Ethernet, wireless. But would that make much of a difference?

Are you suggesting that the five uses the beam as a network access point? 
I’ll try turning off the beam when setting up the five next time. 
could it be also there’s an issue with the actual hardware? No one else has had this issue. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Understood - you mentioned that the Five drops off when you disconnect the Beam which led me to assume the Five was connecting via the Beam, strange that this happens when both are being used wirelessly.

Certainly a hardware fault is not impossible, however generally these issues are related to the network in some way. At this point I’d recommend reaching out to the Support Team so they can perform some real-time troubleshooting.