Answered

Sonos devices disappeared in Spotify app (Android)

• 19 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hi all,

I’ve been troubleshooting for a while now, but haven’t been able to locate the problem:

I normally play music and podcasts on my Sonos devices through Spotify, and this has been working fine for a long time, but suddenly my sonos devices are not detected anymore in Spotify App. I’m using a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE with Android 12. Sonos devices are, Play 1, play 3, Sonos One (pair) and a sonos AMP, connected on a mesh wifi net with Nokia beacon 1. Stuff I tried:

• Restarting phone
  • Reconnecting to spotify account in Sonos app
  • Playing Spotify songs from Sonos app (works fine)
  • Updating Sonos speakers from PC app
  • Restarting wifi network, power cycling router (a technicolor router I got through my ISP)
  • Toggling the “show only local devices” in Spotify settings (normally set to “off”, but neither option works)
  • Checking mesh wifi status though Nokia app (didn’t change anything as this is also from my ISP and config is locked - and has worked fine until now)
  • Disabling my DuckDuckGo App tracking blocker for Sonos and Spotify

I’m out of ideas for other stuff to try. Any suggestions?

Starting Spotify from Sonos app doesn’t work for me, as search function doesn’t work.

icon

Best answer by ratty 19 February 2022, 20:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Try putting the Sonos into ‘wired’ (SonosNet) mode and see if that makes any difference.

Wire one Sonos device (not a home theatre surround) to your Nokia mesh primary node, then wait 2-3 minutes until the system switches itself over. When all the units show WM:0 in Settings/System/About then the transition is complete.

Badge

Thanks for the hint! I attached my Play 3, and see WM:0 for all devices in sonos app, and they all work through Sonos app - in spotify I now see Play 3, and it works, but I can’t see the others. I can attach my amp as well to the mesh primary node, but my sonos one pair is mounted in the kitchen, so can’t move them easily.

Interesting. The SonosNet mesh is clearly active, so I’m surprised the wireless units can’t be seen by the Spotify app. You might want to try restarting the phone (which will force a refresh of all the apps).

Badge

Thanks again. I restarted the phone, but no change - still only the play 3 visible. I then opened sonos app and grouped play 3 and the sonos one pair. Back to Spotify: No sonos devices visible. Back to Sonos app, ungroup play 3 and sonos one pair, now play 3 is visible again in Spotify.

Am I really the only one with this problem? I would assume my setup is fairly common.

First of all I’d suggest you reboot (power off for 20+ seconds) all the Sonos units. This should make them re-register with the cloud. The Spotify Connect link is made in the cloud.

On a different tack, do you have any devices other than the Samsung Galaxy S20 to try? There have been reports of the odd glitch with Android 12.

Badge

Power cycling the remaining devices did the trick! Thanks @ratty for your helpful suggestions in debugging this.

It could be an Android 12 issue, I didn’t get around to check it with older devices

Badge

Update: After getting it to work again, I re-enabled my DuckDuckGo app blocker for Sonos app. I see it blocked a couple of tracking attempts from Urban Airship, and now sonos devices disappeared again from Spotify. Not 100% sure it’s related, but will keep tracking blocker off for Sonos going forward.