Sonos Connect ZP90: sound cuts out and resumes when Volume is adjusted

• 19 July 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Greetings!

I had been using Sonos Connect ZP90 for many years and few month ago started experience sound cuts out.

I contacted Sonos technical support team and they suggested to fully reset the system and connect the device to the Internet via an Ethernet cable. I did as suggested, but the issue is  still here.

Recently the unit stopped sound output completely. However I discovered that the sound output resumes while I keep pushing volume up or down keys (either on the device, CR 2000 remote controller or in Sonos iOS app). This observation made me suspect a hardware flaw or issue, for example bad electric contact on the motherboard due to poor soldering or something.

The unit is out of warranty for a long time so I have a DIY repair option.

I searched the forum and found the closed thread

Unfortunately, the thread does not provide a solution.

I plan to disassemble the unit on this week and re-solder motherboard contacts.

Any suggestions to focus attention?

Can you share your experience, please?

Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge +2

Before disassembly, I relocated the ZP90 to another house with a different Internet connection provider (ISP) and discovered that it is working perfectly fine even providing Internet connection to my working notebook via an Ethernet cable plugged to the 2nd Ethernet port on ZP90.

Therefore, fortunately the issue is most likely not in the hardware, but in the Internet connection in general and router in particular.

To prove this, I relocated ZP90 back to its original place, connected to the router via an Ethernet cable, started radio playback and experience frequent sound cuts. Then I again connected my working notebook via an Ethernet cable to the 2nd Ethernet port on ZP90 and the playback cuts permanently. Now if I unplug the Ethernet cable from the notebook the playback resumes with frequent cuts. If I plug the notebook’s Ethernet cable back the playback cuts permanently.

What Internet router settings could I alter to fix the sound cuts?

Thank you.

Describe your network for us. What model router are you using? Do you have additional SONOS units? If so are any of them wired to the network?

Badge +2

ISP (issues fixed white IP address) === Ethernet Cable === Cisco SPA122 ATA with Router  === Ethernet Cable === ZP 90 (with Wi-Fi turned off) === Ethernet Cable === ZP120 (with Wi-Fi turned on) ~~~ Wireless Connection ~~~ ZP120 (with Wi-Fi turned on)

That’s it!

When wired to the network through the ZP90’s second port is the laptop’s connection speed OK? Is there any difference if you swap network connections between the ZP90’s ports?

If you wire ZP90 to one of the ZP120’s how is the ZP90’s performance?

Check to make sure that the ZP90’s radio is still disabled.

Another quickie test is to enable the ZP90’s radio and disconnect the wire.

Badge +2

When wired to the network through the ZP90’s second port is the laptop’s connection speed OK? Is there any difference if you swap network connections between the ZP90’s ports?

If you wire ZP90 to one of the ZP120’s how is the ZP90’s performance?

Check to make sure that the ZP90’s radio is still disabled.

Another quickie test is to enable the ZP90’s radio and disconnect the wire.

Thank you for the suggestions.

I will do all the checks till the end of September 2021 and report.