Answered

Sonos Connect Not Syncing With Rest Of System But Only When Using Sonos App

We have a bit of odd problem.  Our total grouped system looks like this:

iPad using the Sonos App and Spotify App
3x Sonos Play 3
1x Sonos Play 1
1x Sonos Connect (not amp) connected via RCA to Sony AV Receiver STR-DH590

We have been using this set up for over 3 years without issue, up until about 3 weeks ago.

When we start a playlist through the Sonos App, the Connect will fall out of sync and play about ¼ second ahead of the rest of the system.  But if we start a playlist on the Spotify App, then connect to the Sonos group, everything syncs perfectly.

Our Wi-fi is mesh and everything is connected to the 2.4GHz band.  We would prefer to use the Sonos App for our system, and using Spotify is not the end of the world, but it’s such a strange new problem that just cropped up with out adding any new pieces to the system.

Everything is up to date with the newest updates as well.  Anyone have this issue or thoughts?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 2 November 2022, 16:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

@mielbeer,
You mentioned you are using all your products on a mesh WiFi system - I’m curious as to which make/model of mesh you are using?

Anyhow… are the mesh hubs operating in ‘bridged’ (Access Point) mode to your (ISP/Other provided) main router, or is there a separate router that’s bridged (or modem) and one of your mesh hubs is acting as the local router?

I’m thinking there might be some network latency causing the audio-sync issue between the Sonos products, so have you considered trying to run the Sonos system on its own SonosNet signal with one Sonos product only wired to whichever device is the subnets primary router/hub. It might be worth exploring that option and seeing if it resolves your issue. See this LINK and this LINK too.

I do also suspect a full network reboot followed by power-cycling all Sonos products might resolve your issue aswell, but I think putting all over to SonosNet (wired) mode might stop the issue reoccurring again in the future.

If you do opt for SonosNet, set it’s wireless channel in the Sonos App to one that is not in use by the mesh hubs (if practicable) and if it proves to work better, then report back here, as there are several other things that maybe worth doing with your setup too, going forward. HTH

Is there a Line-In connection from the SONY to CONNECT?

If so, make sure that the Group plays directly from CONNECT, not CONNECT’s Line-In.

@Ken_Griffiths The mesh is MeshForce - Some cheap Amazon product.  I’ll take a look into how they are operating and I’ll try give those suggestions a shot tomorrow.  The only thing that makes me curious is that it works perfectly when using Spotify to start the music.  I’ll report back after.

@buzz I believe the Line-In is fully disabled on the Connect.  It’s definitely acting as it’s own Sonos product when grouped with the others.  I’ll double check that though!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I‘ve had exactly the same issue with my Connect since the 14.18 update - 

What has Sonos said when you submitted a diagnostic, and called them?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

What has Sonos said when you submitted a diagnostic, and called them?

Per my post, “we are not aware of any delay issues caused by the updates”, “there’s a lot of wireless interference”, reboot all the speakers in turn, restart the router, switch to a different wireless channel, “our engineers will take a look and see if the issue is with the software. If it is an issue with the software it should be solved with the new updates :)“

Thanks. It’s a bit harder to follow when you’re posting data in multiple threads. Due to the large number of posts, they’re not always read sequentially. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Thanks. It’s a bit harder to follow when you’re posting data in multiple threads. Due to the large number of posts, they’re not always read sequentially. 

I haven't posted data in multiple threads (apart from above in response to your specific question to me). I simply started my own thread on my issue, and commented on two other threads that I was having the same issue as them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mielbeer 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I recommend you end troubleshooting and get in touch with our technical support team regarding this issue - it’s the only way this will get resolved.

Thanks.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

FYI I was having this issue and it is now resolved: