Answered

Sonos Connect not found after switching routers

• 28 October 2020
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

Hi All, 

I knew it couldn’t have been that easy to cut the cord. Everything was working great;  almost suspiciously. Then our internet provider (Spectrum) sent us a new cable modem AND router (our previous unit was a combo modem/router). Gradually plugged everything back in with no problems (see breakdown below). Every time we plug in the Connect it kicks everything off the network. Tried unplugging router, tried reinstalling app, tried connecting the Connect wirelessly instead of wired, tried factory resetting the Connect, but no dice. Everything BUT the Connect works well. One thing I noticed is that our previous modem/router offered 5.0 GHz and 2.4 GHz networks, Our new wireless router only has the one network to choose from. Below is our system setup. ANY/ALL SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!

• (1) Playbar + (2) Play 1s (Surround) + (1) Boost + (1) Connect (connected to turntable): Living Room  - all plugged in directly to router (+ 1 Roku Ultra)
  • (1) Play 5: Bedroom
  • (1) Play 1: Kitchen 
  • (1) Play 1: Bedroom

Diagnostic when the Connect is PLUGGED into the router (nothing working): 769211707

Diagnostic when the Connect is UNPLUGGED from the router (nothing working): 32580196

Diagnostic when the Connect is UNPLUGGED from the router (everything working again): 694513125

Last thing: I noticed it takes 2-3x as longer for everything to show up when I open the Sonos app on my phone. Our internet speed ‘should’ have remained the same when we swapped in the modem/router. THANKS, ALL!!!

P.S. Anyone wish Sonos called the Connect ANYTHING but the ‘Connect?’ - Makes it an SEO nightmare ;)

icon

Best answer by anton101 2 November 2020, 16:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @anton101.

Thanks for reaching out.

I appreciate your detailed post outlining your concern, let me help and try to figure this out.

Upon reviewing the diagnostic reports, Sonos Connect is not cloud-connected and it is not showing connected on your system on all the diagnostic results above.

What is the LED light status on the component? Is it solid white, flashing green, etc.?

Since, this is a new router, knowing how and through what Sonos is connecting is the great foundation to troubleshooting this successfully.

• May I have the make and model number of any wireless router and/or Access Point that exist on the network? It’s best if we can check any known issue or if there’s an additional configuration needed on the device that is essential for Sonos.

• Please indicate also how these devices are connected to one another (wired or wireless).

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

Badge +1

Hi Annazel, 

Thanks for replying! I spent 2-3 hours on the phone with Sonos and Spectrum and no luck so far (case #02232984). I believe it must be the router based on what I’ve been reading online (links below). If that is the case, can you recommend a router I can purchase?

The Spectrum router is:

• Make: Sagemcom
  • Model: SAC2V2S 

The router claims to be “smart” and doesn’t allow to choose either 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz. It looks like other folks are having the same issue. 

The Connect’s LED is solid white. We already tried resetting, rebooting, etc. I have it unplugged from the wall and disconnected from the router. 

Living Room: 

• (1) Playbar +  (2) Play 1s (Surround) (wired to router)
  • (1) Boost (wired to router) 
  • (1) Connect (wired to router, ideally) - this is connected to a turntable. 

These below all work now when the Connect is powered off.  

• (1) Play 5: Bedroom (wireless)
  • (1) Play 1: Kitchen (wireless)
  • (1) Play 1: Bedroom (wireless) 

Thanks so much for your help. 

Best,

Mike 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @anton101.

Thanks for your response. We highly appreciate your time and effort in working through this.

We do not recommend specific brands to keep fairness for third-party partners, but it might be helpful checking this support article about networking equipment/hardware that is incompatible with Sonos

You may also reach out to Sonos Support, so we can check further your Sonos Connect and diagnose it in real-time. I suggest calling our phone team for they have more resources available for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the computer/controller to see what's going on.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Badge +1

Hi Annazel,

I think I have the system working, everything except for the Boost. 

• I unplugged everything from the Router, except for the Connect.
  • I reset the Connect and it was discovered by the Sonos app, so I added it to the network 
  • After some playing around with it, I finally got the turntable working through the Connect
  • The Playbar (room: Living Room) + (2) Surround Play 1s are now working with both the TV and the Connect! The Playbar was still wireless so I plugged it into the router, and it kicked off EVERYTHING!
  • DIAGNOSTIC: 513565717 
  • Then I learned about Network Storms: https://www.support.com/how-to/how-to-fix-network-issues-caused-by-a-sonos-speaker-12278
  • Disabled Wifi on Sonos Connect
  • Plugged Playbar back into Router, seems to be working fine now!
  • DIAGNOSTIC: 1302734785
  • Plugged in the Boost and it kicked everything off. Tried factory resetting it and it still kicked off everything off. 

In short, I disabled wifi on everything plugged into the router and then unplugged the Boost. Seems like everything is working okay now. Does that sound right? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @anton101.

Thanks for your response and update.

I appreciate your patience in working through this, and I’m glad that it’s already working, you did great.

In general, disabling your WiFi is a setting intended for Sonos players that are placed in a permanent location and stay wired to the network. 

This can be a useful option for Sonos components that don't need to use their wireless connections, like a set of Connects or Connect: Amps that are installed in a rack mount.

If you want to keep SonosNet, there must be another Sonos product wired to the router with Wifi enabled to broadcast SonosNet specifically for Sonos products.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let us know, we’re always here to help.

Cheers!

Badge +1

Update (11-4-2020): Spectrum has confirmed it is an issue with their router (Sagemcom SAC2V2S). I just ordered a replacement which should hopefully work: TP-Link WiFi 6 Router AX1800 Smart WiFi Router (Archer AX20) for $109.99 on Amazon. Seemed like a reasonable price. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @anton101.

Thanks for your immediate response and for keeping us posted.

I checked our list of incompatible hardware and it’s good to know that TP-Link WiFi 6 Router AX1800 Smart WiFi Router is not listed so it should be compatible.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Badge +1

Problem solved for now! Ditched Spectrum’s router for a TP-Link WiFi 6 Router AX1800 Smart WiFi Router.  

I wired the Playbar and the Sonos Connect to the router. All other Sonos speakers were unplugged/powered off. Didn’t work at first.

So I factory reset the Playbar, the (2) Play 1 surrounds, and the Sonos Connect.

Then I disabled wifi on the Sonos Connect since it’s wired to the router and I am running uncompressed audio from a turntable. Not a dealbreaker, just a nice-to-have. 

Works great. Also, I did NOT plug the Sonos Boost back in yet. Not sure if it is necessary yet. 

Plugged the speakers in the other rooms and they were discovered right away. 

Anyway, that’s what worked for me. Hope this helps someone else! Thanks for all your help!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @anton101.

Thanks for your response and for sharing with us what you did to resolve it.

We appreciate your time and patience in working through this.

Certainly, this is going to be very helpful to those community members that might encounter the same scenario.

If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.

All the best. Cheers!