Answered

Sonos Connect keeps trying to get DHCP address

• 26 January 2021
  • 12 replies

Badge

my sonos connect keeps trying to get a dhcp address…  i have like 15 sonos devices in the house, but this one keeps polling my dhcp server about every 5 minutes … it seems it has lost the ip address as when it is doing this I can’t ping it.  It gets the IP address as eventually I can ping it, and then it appears to lose it again.

I just setup  a reservation for it and it got the ip address I rerserved for it, and then back to losing the ip and going back to discovery again.  While it does this it outputs an annoying pop sound to the amp it is plugged into.

I am looking at it with wireshark, and I can see the discover coming from address 0.0.0.0 which means yeah it has lost its address and trying to get it again.

I was on a chat session with a sonos tech and they had just told me the diag I sent them was indicating it was having trouble getting an ip address and then the session dropped.  Haven’t found a time slot to restart it, just wondered if this rings any bells with anyone?  I would like to get it to work again, but its out of warranty, so if not, I am going to remove it as I thought perhaps I would play music to the whole house or somethiong from my office, but I never do, so sort of a waste.

icon

Best answer by Rowena B. 1 February 2021, 23:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

HI @wddossett

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for your detailed post describing your concern. We appreciate you for contacting our chat support team and sorry to hear that the session got disconnected. 

Let me help you with this by following the troubleshooting steps that you can do to address the issue.

1. Check the LED light
    • Press the play/pause button of your Sonos Connect.
    • Note how the LED light responds. What is the light color? Is it solid or flashing light?
  2. Put your Sonos Connect into a Hardware Diagnostic Mode
    • Press and hold the play/pause and volume down buttons for 10 seconds. The LED will turn Red.
    • Once in Hardware Diagnostic mode, please note the LED pattern. (i.e. Solid Red, 11 White Blinks, Solid Orange, Solid Green, 4 White Blinks)
    • Press the play/pause button to exit Hardware Diagnostic mode.
    • Check in the Sonos app If your Sonos Connect is still missing.
  3. Reboot your Sonos Connect
    • Unplug power until the LED light goes out, wait for 30 seconds then plug back into power.
    • Wait for the LED light to return to solid white.
    • Check the Sonos app again to see if the player has returned.
  4. Use another power cable.
    • If you have another Sonos Connect, you can use the power cable to test.
    • Check the Sonos app again to see if the player has returned.
  5. Temporarily wire your Sonos Connect to your router using an ethernet cable and check if it will show in the Sonos app.

Please keep us posted on the progress and run a diagnostic report for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response.  If you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you. 

Badge

Thanks Rowena - the light is solid for hours sometimes and it works as nomral, then it starts flashing at some random time… while it flashes it makes a popping noise thru my amp and speakers and disappears from my Sonos controller app.  This may last for up to 20 minutes I think, but may be less.  While it is flashing like this I see that it is trying to get a DHCP address from my DHCP server…. it repeatedly tries do this even thought the server makes a DHCP offer which I see using wireshark.  It does this both cabled and over wireless.  I have tried another power cord and it is the same.  I have obviously rebooted.  I have run diagnostics a while ago.  269863191 and 647972088 … these were a couple of weeks ago and were taken while it was having difficulties getting the dhcp address so it should show the problem.  It is not doing it now, but when it starts again, I will send another diag and post the number here.  I will try the h/w diagnostic - but I assume I should do that when it is displaying the problem?  or should I do this anytime?

wddossett,

I was wondering if any of your ‘other’ Sonos products are wired to the LAN? .. if so, it occurred to me that ‘perhaps’ your Connect might be at a mid-point between your routers WiFi signal and a SonosNet signal and because you have the WiFi credentials still stored in the Sonos App that the device maybe hopping between the two different signals and perhaps renewing its IP address.

So if you do think that’s a possibility and you are using SonosNet (with one Sonos device wired) then perhaps try resetting/removing your WiFi credentials in the Sonos App "Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup” and see if that resolves the matter?

If not using SonosNet, then obviously ignore my suggestion.

Badge

yes, most of my other sonos products are wired.  I have seen some hopping which I see on my cisco switch console as port flapping as it is seeing same mac on more than one port.  I have turned off wireless in the devices that was occurring on and have got rid of the console messages now.  WIreless is now turned off completely on my problematic connect - I am using the v2 contoller ap, so it just has enable or disable wireless…  I was using wireless no cable, but have changed it back to cabled and no wireless again…   its weird.  The light gets a bit weird on it sometimes as well, it seems to have a big of a red/orange tint to the bluish green flashing when it starts having issues… I am fairly color blind, so thats my take on the colors :-( anyway...

wddossett,
If it’s wired, with its wireless adapter off, then it won’t be the hop between WiFi/SonosNet as I suggested earlier.

My only other thought is if the device is perhaps gradually over-heating/rebooting for some reason?

You could, maybe as a very last resort, consider a factory reset and see if that fixes it, but I presume you’ve possibly considered that option anyway.

Badge

Thanks ken, yeah, the over-heating sounds possible, with the weird color on the light… I think I saw someone else identify a hardware error similar to this - I think I need sonos to have a look at the diags and I need to do the h/w diag they asked… hopefully they can figure out what the problem is…  I was in the process of that when I got cut off last time and finding the time to sit down and go thru it all with them while it is mis-behaving is always a task.  I have hardware reset it also, pretty much tried everything and it persists.

Badge

So it just started misbehaving and light flashing on and off and disappeared from my sonos system in the app.  I have just done a diagnostic and the number is 1987537875.   I tried holding the button for 10 seconds, it showed red but kept blinking - when I released it I think it just went back to blinking on and off white/green… or the normal color it is but blinking and then it popped up in my app did I want to add the device… it was already added, but there was no way to cancel the process so I added it again, it showed up, but then stated blinking again after a little bit.  I also noticed on my cisco switch console that the interface went down and then back up again and has been doing this while it has been blinking… it looks to me like the device is rebooting or something as the switch thinks the interface is going down and then back up again like a power on off…  Sonos?  Is there anything else I can do?  Pretty sure it is out of warranty, what are my options?  It certainly isn’t any more than 3 yrs old as thats all the longer I’ve had my office where it is located.  I would expect Sonos devices to last a little longer than 3 years anyway!

Obviously this is mostly a user community with some Support Staff here - however you might be best chatting/contacting Sonos Support via the links on this Page: https://support.sonos.com/s/ and give them your diagnostic reference for them to check to see if the device shows any issues. That’s if you get no joy in the community here of course.

Badge

sure, I know, but the first reply I got to this was from Sonos and they asked for a diagnostic which is what I just posted… I know I can chat, but I got 20 minutes into the chat last time and had given diags and all and then it just dropped, no way to get it back and it also requires me to have enough time free to keep the chat going and I trying to do my regular job as well!  was hoping that Rowena who replied might get back to me with something.  Thanks

sure, I know, but the first reply I got to this was from Sonos and they asked for a diagnostic which is what I just posted… I know I can chat, but I got 20 minutes into the chat last time and had given diags and all and then it just dropped, no way to get it back and it also requires me to have enough time free to keep the chat going and I trying to do my regular job as well!  was hoping that Rowena who replied might get back to me with something.  Thanks

Yes of course, no worries and hope you get it sorted. 👍

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks,

@Ken_Griffiths, thanks for your assistance.

@wddossett, thanks for updating us. Upon checking on the diagnostic, interference has been detected on one or more Sonos components running SonosNet, the Patio and Living Room (Playbar) are showing as dropped rooms. These errors may cause missing room or audio playback issues with your Sonos system. You may resolve this by rebooting all your network and Sonos devices, and you can also change the Sonos system’s wireless channel. However, no issue detected on your Sonos Connect. Based on the behavior you mentioned with your Sonos Connect, this could be a power-related issue. 

At this point, I recommend contacting our phone support team to further look into this or possible product replacement. If you have any questions, please do let us know.

Badge

Thanks I will do that.