Skip to main content

Hi everyone,

I have an old Sonos Connect which I would like to link up to some decent Mordaunt Short speakers. Which amplifier (happy to buy used off eBay) would you recommend? Or is there another way to get the speakers hooked up?

Many thanks in advance!

First make sure that the CONNECT is compatible with your other SONOS components, if any.

I have an old Sonos Connect which I would like to link up to some decent Mordaunt Short speakers. Which amplifier (happy to buy used off eBay) would you recommend?

Hi @willblueshoes, it would be helpful to know the sensitivity (aka efficiency) of your target speakers. For example, the Aviano 2s have a sensitivity of 88dB which is pretty good and means you do not need a particularly powerful amp. Something like the Pro-Ject Amp Box S3 would do a great job.

Thanks both.

buzz - it is showing up on my S2 controller so should be fine? Is that what you mean?

press250, I am not tech-y at all. How do I find this out?

One way is to write down here the exact model description of those MS speakers, from a panel somewhere on either of them; that will allow all the necessary information about them to got from Google. What no one can tell you is if the old speakers work well enough to justify spend on an amplifier to drive them.

Start with the manual for the speakers, look at suggested amplifier sizes. I tend to look to the high end of the specification as I find the distortion you can get from asking too much of an amp sounds ugly and can damage a speaker.

A quick look shows power ranges from 80 to 250 depending on which  Mordaunt Short speakers.

I wouldn’t hesitate to go double the maximum rated power if I could get a bargain at that rating compared to a more expensive one with lower ratings.

press250, I am not tech-y at all. How do I find this out?

Hi @willblueshoes, I found the sensitivity on their website. Let me know what speaker(s) you’re thinking about and we can look it up.

Thanks all. It looks like they are Mordaunt Short MS902 speakers - is that enough to go on?

Really appreciate the offers of help.