Answered

Sonos components won't setup / connect over a Netgear Orbi RBR50 mesh network ?

• 8 August 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi 

Purchased an Orbi RBR50 router and satellite mesh Wi-Fi for our house. Mix of older and new gen Sonos  components (Play3, Playbar & One). When running set up in the Sonos S2 App its finds the product but when trying to connect to the Sonos network, I get a ‘Unable to joying the network “SONOS”.’

Ran the same setup with the old wifi router and it set up ok.

Only variable is Orbi. 

Any hacks or trips please?

Or is the Orbi useless with Sonos? If so, what mesh wifi works with Sonos?

Thanks..Matt

icon

Best answer by rosswells127 8 August 2021, 06:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Matt, To answer your question, Sonos and Orbi will work fine together.

I am successfully running 7 x S2 Sonos devices on my network which includes an Orbi RBR50 and RBS50 which provide stable wireless support for the many other devices on my network. The RBR50 is running in AP mode. I am using Sonosnet for the Sonos devices. My main service provider provided router has WiFi turned off and has reserved IP addresses for the 7 Sonos devices.

Sonosnet is configured on a different 2.4 channel to the Orbi 2.4 channel.

Perhaps your Sonos devices are still using your old router credentials. Have you tried connecting one for your Sonos devices to the Orbi router via Ethernet cable to enable Sonosnet?

Ross.

Hi Ross,

Thank for your reply.

So essentially add one component to the Orbi network via a cat 5 cable?

I tried it and was able to get it to connect to a Play 3 that I had disconnected from my the existing set up & reset to factory settings.

My existing set up (non-Orbi) has no wired connections - all 7 components work fine over wifi. But to get Orbi to work I need at least 1 wired component? Seems a backward step?

Thanks..Matt

@Matt_86 

Perhaps also have a quickread through this thread, just for information purposes:

Troubleshooting Sonos on WiFi