Question

Sonos compatible with Xbox series X

• 10 November 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge +3

Hi guys I’ve just brought the Xbox series x today not realising it doesn’t have an optical to connect to my playbar , I’ve the playbar , sub and two play ones in my lounge , I’m absolutely gutted I can’t go through my Sonos , tv speakers very very poor lol does anyone know of any adaptors that would work ? I’m a total novice when it comes to technical terms so please explain and direct me , cheers guys , stay safe 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I assume your TV does not have an optical output?  The other option is to get a HDMI/optical switch like this…

https://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Optical-Extractor-Converter-Splitter/dp/B017B6WFP8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3MTCOMQG11IZX&dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+optical+splitter+120hz&qid=1605041462&sprefix=hdmi+optical+splitter+120%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFaVE5ESEVTTVkxSVgmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2NDM0ODUzVlZEVDNNUUlJVjhTJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0MDEwMDQxWVNBVTlaWlM2STFHJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Badge +3

Hi Mel thanks for messaging , yeah my tv does have optical , I have 3 optical cables in total , one for

tv , one for Xbox and one for PS4 and what ever I’m watching or playing I would have to plug that optical into the back off the sound bar to hear sound , if that makes sense . That way all my devices go through the Sonos , however now that the Xbox series x doesn’t have that optical I’m stuck for the sound , cheers 

Hi Mel thanks for messaging , yeah my tv does have optical , I have 3 optical cables in total , one for

tv , one for Xbox and one for PS4 and what ever I’m watching or playing I would have to plug that optical into the back off the sound bar to hear sound , if that makes sense . That way all my devices go through the Sonos , however now that the Xbox series x doesn’t have that optical I’m stuck for the sound , cheers 

If your TV has an optical output, it should be able to pasthrough whatever audio content it receives from HDMI inputs (xbox and ps) without you needing to manually switch cables around.  Have you tested that out?  I’d be surprised if not, as that would be a very poor design of your TV.

Badge +3

Hi mate il take a look and get back to u , it’s a 55inch Samsung tv about 5 years old also I have my tv speakers turned off so that all my sound goes through my sound bar all the time , if I turn the tv speakers on then I get sound through the series x but atm it’s giving me no sound through hdmi 

Hi mate il take a look and get back to u , it’s a 55inch Samsung tv about 5 years old also I have my tv speakers turned off so that all my sound goes through my sound bar all the time , if I turn the tv speakers on then I get sound through the series x but atm it’s giving me no sound through hdmi 

There should be an audio setting to have all audio play through the optical connection.  Usually, that’s a different setting than turning the internal TV speakers on/off.    It is on my Samsung TVs.

Badge +3

Oh right ok I’m take a look matey and I’m get back to ya 

Badge +3

Hi mate I’ve checked

my tv and there is no setting for optical , audio format says pcm which I can’t change whilst tv speakers are on , when I turn them off I get a choice of pcm and dts neo 2.5  , obviously all sound works through sky tv etc but nothing when Xbox is on