Answered

Sonos By Sonance Outdoor Reduce Sound

• 9 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Before I connected the 2nd set of speakers it seems like there was more sound coming from the 1st set I had connected. Why is the sound reduced when I have 2 sets connected vs. when I just had 1 set connected. 

icon

Best answer by Sonny.Ade 11 July 2023, 06:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Because half the power is now driving the second pair of speakers, rather than just one pair?

I don’t expect this to be the case. Connecting speakers to an amplifier is similar to connecting more lamps to a circuit in your house. You can keep adding lamps (speakers) until the circuit current limit is reached and the lamp (speaker) output will not noticeably change as more lamps (speakers) are added.

Untrained humans are very poor judges of sound intensity. For most listeners doubling the output results in a barely perceptible change for the human. After some training in a studio, a person’s ability to notice smaller changes can improve somewhat.

Badge +2

I don’t expect this to be the case. Connecting speakers to an amplifier is similar to connecting more lamps to a circuit in your house. You can keep adding lamps (speakers) until the circuit current limit is reached and the lamp (speaker) output will not noticeably change as more lamps (speakers) are added.

Untrained humans are very poor judges of sound intensity. For most listeners doubling the output results in a barely perceptible change for the human. After some training in a studio, a person’s ability to notice smaller changes can improve somewhat.

I didn't expect the sound to be noticable but at the same volume the sound intensity was lower when I installed two pairs speakers. One pair is Sonos by Sonance and one pair is Sonance Magv3. Is it possible that this mismatch is affecting my output intensity? Almost like using LED bulbs and incandescence bulbs in the same room to borrow from you analogy. 

Possibly the two sets of speakers are wired out of phase or placed at unfortunate locations and there are cancellations.

Badge +2

Possibly the two sets of speakers are wired out of phase or placed at unfortunate locations and there are cancellations.