Sonos Boost made everything worse

• 16 December 2021
  • 1 reply

I have 10 play ones, two subs and one Arc in my Sonos system.  Just like everyone else, I’ve experienced constant speaker drop out.  At the behest of Sonos I purchased a Boost.  Problem not solved.  After reading numerous comments, i thought adding a second wired Boost to my network would finally fix my problem. Totally made the problem worse.  In spite of what Sonos says, Boosts DO NOT WORK.  Total waste of money.  After moving it all over my house to “find the best spot” i have removed both Boosts from my Sonos set-up.  Now with my only my router managing my Sonos speakers, I get significantly REDUCED speaker drop out.  I have two used Boosts available for anyone that wants to waste their time

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

When opting to switch to SonosNet (wired) mode with a Boost, I would also suggest doing the following:

• Set the routers 2.4ghz WiFi to a fixed ‘non-overlapping’ channel 1,6 or 11 and choose a 20MHz channel-width
  • Set the SonosNet channel in the Sonos App “Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks” so it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel.
  • Remove the WiFi credentials from the "Network/Manage Networks” area in the App as those are often not needed when running on SonosNet and it will stop your non-portable Sonos devices hopping between SonosNet & your WiFi signal.
  • Ensure all Sonos products, particularly the wired one is at least 3 to 4 feet away from other Wireless devices including the router and other access points.
  • This next suggestion is optional, but often worthwhile... Consider adding the Sonos IP addresses to the local routers DHCP reservation table, as that too will improve stability, particularly during updates and reboots of the local network.

Hopefully those few suggestion will assist to prevent audio dropouts… I also recommend checking out these two ‘hopefully’ helpful links too:

1. WiFi Interference
  2. Wireless Interference Video: Wireless Interference and Sonos