Answered

Sonos BOOST - error logging the device into my SONOS account

Badge
Good morningI'm having trouble successfully adding the boost device to my system.I received a used device for my friend.The device has been reset and restored to factory settings.They can be physically added to my speaker system.Unfortunately, there is an error when registering the device in my SONOS account.The procedure ends with the boost being added to the S2 controller, unfortunately with a red message that it has not been assigned to my account.As a result, the device cannot be used and some controller functions are disabled.The new boost is not in the list of my devices on SONOS.The previous owner used the device with an S1 controller.What can I do in this situation?Do I need to unregister from the previous user's account and system?Or maybe it's a hardware problem?Please advise and helpRegards Tomasz
icon

Best answer by Mr. T 7 March 2024, 00:08

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7

If the Boost was previously being used on S1 I would download the S1 app and initially get the Boost to show there. Then attempt to update the Boost from S1 to S2, then try adding to your S2 system again.

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/update-from-s1-to-s2

Badge

In the S1 controller, when I try to add Boost, I get information that it is intended for S2.  In S2, after adding it, I cannot register it to my account and I receive the message Application version with SONOS system

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Have you tried doing a Sonos Update once the Boost is connected? If that works it might clear the version mismatch error.

Badge

After adding Boost to my system with the S2 controller, I ran the update feature. Unfortunately, there are none. I was wondering about the inability to assign Boost to my SONOS account. I thought it was a blocking problem on my network. I disabled the firewalls and added my router to the DMZ on the cable modem. Registration errors will appear all the time.

Userlevel 7

Do you currently have a wired setup or is the Boost going to be the first wired device?

Badge

I already have two Boosts that work well, and some of the speakers are connected to the network via cable

Userlevel 7

Under About My System, what Version is showing against the Boost?

Badge

The controller is version 16, and each device is also version 16 (77449290)

Userlevel 7

I would maybe power down your S2 system and only have the “new” Boost showing in the app.

Then under System, select Transfer System Ownership, and follow the prompts to see if that completes the Sonos registration to your account.

Badge

Hello.

I have made multiple attempts to add the new Boost and configure the speaker system.

Ultimately, I failed to configure the boosts correctly.

For now, I have disconnected them from the system and only use Wi-Fi connections.

I suspect it may be a problem with the configuration of my network equipment.

I have an Arris TG6441B cable modem and UNIFI switches and gateways.
Maybe someone has experience with configuring and integrating this equipment with the SONOS system.

I especially mean launching SONOS net and connecting Boosts.

I will be grateful for any comments and suggestions.

Regards Tomasz

You may be helped by this link: https://github.com/IngmarStein/unifi-sonos-doc

I am not knowledgeable enough beyond knowing that link. Unifi isn’t my cup of tea, I don’t pretend to understand how it’s ‘better’ than a ‘normal’ WiFi system. 

Remember, the BOOST creates a SonosNet connection, but not all Sonos devices can connect to it, there are several (the new ones, Roam, Move, Era speakers) that can’t connect to a SonosNet signal. You can also create a SonosNet signal without a BOOST by merely connecting a SonosNet capable device to your network with a cable, it will then create the SonosNet signal, which is merely a parallel mesh network that Sonos attaches itself to.