Sonos Beam not connecting to system via wired connection

• 20 December 2020
  • 2 replies

I have a Beam connected via wired (router -> relay -> Beam). Plus a Sonos 3, also wired (router -> Sonos 3). The house has a WiFi network from the router and it all works fine.

I'm trying to connect another Beam which is in a garden room, that has a wired TP Link bridge (router -> TP Link -> Beam). The TP Link also has a wireless network, that has a different name to the house.

I'd expected the Beam to be found by the Sonos system, because they're all wired to the router. But no joy - when my phone is connected to the garden room WiFi network, it can't find my Sonos system. I'd settle for creating a new Sonos system for the new Beam, it doesn't need to interact with the other Sonos products.

I managed to get it working by setting the new Beam up wirelessly in the house, then moving it to the garden room. But when I'm on the garden room network, the Sonos app sometimes finds the Beam (but not the other products), or can't see any products. 

The hit and miss Sonos system connection is frustrating - does anyone have advice on how the make this extended (wired) network visible to Sonos? The Alexa in it works fine all and is visible in my Alexa app all the time.

Thanks .

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

All of the SONOS components must be on the same Subnet along with the controllers. Evidently, the TP Link is a different Subnet. One solution would be to sign-on to the TP Link access point when you want to use the Garden Room SONOS system. Back in the house, you’ll need to start using the Router’s access point.

Thanks, the subnet tip has set me off in a promising direction. I'm not convinced I can easily work out the settings required in the router and the access point to allow Sonos to operate across both. But if I do, I'll post them here, for others' reference.