Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos arc connect to Sonos port to drive receiver

• 7 December 2022
  • 1 reply

Current equipment: LG tv ARC output to Sonos Arc. I would like to add a Sonos Port to control/provide input for my Onkyo (works with Sonos) receiver to play in the same room. I am having difficulty finding if this type of set up is possible? I would like to have both the Arc and the Port/Onkyo using the original audio output from the TV (via the arc hdmi) which is how I am currently listening/using the Arc now. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @SharksAndBears 

It is possible to do as you describe, but it is unlikely to produce the results you want - the Onkyo would very likely play at least a few milliseconds behind the Arc, producing an intolerable echo effect. Depending on network conditions, there may also be audio interruptions. These can be usually be eliminated, but only by increasing the delay. For these reasons, we do not support the grouped playback of TV audio to other rooms (Sonos app rooms - the physical layout is irrelevant), though the option is there for if the TV sound is to be heard in a different room where the original sound cannot be heard.

It’s technically feasible that you could connect the Arc to the TV’s HDMI-ARC socket and the Onkyo to the optical output, but this would of course depend on the TV outputting to both at the same time - some will not. There’s still no guarantee that they would play in perfect sync, but at least you don’t need to spend more than the cost of an optical cable to find out, and if you already have one, less. 

Music playback would be in perfect sync, by the way. TV audio is handled differently due to the Arc’s (or other sound-bar’s) need to keep in sync with the TV picture.

I hope this helps.