Sonos Apps on PC Not Launching

• 13 November 2020
  • 5 replies

The old app prior to the S2 split always worked for years, never had a single issue on any PC, it always just worked. The new apps S1 and S2 on the Windows platform are so temperamental. 

When I launch the app I get the splash screen and that’s it. I get a corresponding process in Task Manager, but it’ll never run up. There are no messages in Event Viewer, nada. 

I’ve uninstalled, reinstalled and it still will  not launch. If I uninstall, reboot and then reinstall it’ll work briefly. But the next time I launch it’ll likely not work again.

This has been going on since you changed the app style and split them to S1 and S2 (neither now work BTW).

I’ve tried upgrading patching on Win10, downgrading, trawling event viewer and scouring the OS for logs that may help. 

I’m running Win10 Pro 64-bit. Rebuilding is out of the question as it’s my main dev box. I don’t run AV other than Windows Defender, there are no funky internet connections, I run a wired connection to my router, which just connects to the internet (no VPN). I don’t run any firewall on this box. I’ve even used the install exe from my laptop that does work most of the time. I still get issues on that too. The laptop is basically a Win10 clean install with hardly any other apps. 

I’m at a loss

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @V8_Mike, welcome to the Sonos community. Thank you for providing a detailed post describing the issue and appreciate all the efforts that you performed. Let me help you with this. May I ask, do you encounter the same using a mobile device controller? 

It seems like you have done most of the troubleshooting steps, let me check your Sonos system to understand how it functions, and to see what might be causing the issue. Please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information. If you need help with any other information, feel free to reach out. We'll wait for your reply.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This looks like the bitmap-crash-on-startup, several other threads on this.

Not sure how you are expected to submit a Sonos diagnostic when the app crashes on startup.

While Sonos don’t see interested in fixing this, try my app instead (see profile).

Rowena - Thanks for getting back to me. The app is faultless on my phone (Android Samsung S10). As much as I’d like to submit a diagnostic report, controlav is spot on in saying that the app never loads, therefore I don’t get the UI to be able to do that. 

I’m going to remove and reinstall again tonight after I’ve done the upgrade to the new Windows 10 update 20H2. 

Controlav - I’ll take a look, thanks...

Rowena - No difference when I run on the updated 20H2 Win10 now either.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @V8_Mike,

Thank you for your response and for updating us. 

At this point, I recommend reaching out to our phone support team for further assistance and to provide the best recommendations regarding this concern.

If you have any questions or run into any other issues, please do not hesitate to contact us, we’ll be glad to assist you.