Answered

Sonos App doesn't find existing system.

Show first post

75 replies

Unable to connet to Sonos … this is sooooo annoying. Nearly every time I want to watch TV or listen to music same problem. The suggested solutions are really not customer friendly. Every time I should reset the router, unplug the Sonos speakers, search for equipment, etc etc 
I am pretty sure now I will receive a questions about my setup - it is simple, a simple WiFi router, no mesh, no nothing, And reading throught the list of complains, I would believe it is not an issue of the WiFi, but an issue with the Sonos software.
The Sonos app says “Unable to connect” while some (not all!) speakers are still visible in Apple Music. And that is the main issue and the main annoyance and frustration I experience. Totally unpredictable. sometimes it works, then it does not longer, then - without changing anything - all speakers are back again. Software is really terrible! And the suggested solutions are a total failure and not helpful.

I can assure you, the issue isn’t with the Sonos software. It is indeed an issue with the network you have. However, as you’ve expressed an unwillingness to accept solutions, I won’t offer any. 

Once you’ve decided that the issue cannot be [...] or must be [...] it is likely that you will be blindsided. Play the percentages, For this sort of issue the high percentage case you should investigate first is the network.

After going around in circles following the Sonos instructions numerous times without success, I finally removed the app completely from my wife’s phone. I then downloaded and reinstalled the app. It asked some new questions (specifically about access to Bluetooth) and then connected like a charm. Definitely a software problem, not a network problem. 

Echo above frustrations; cannot connect, early adopter of sonos products, 15+ installed base,  I have no sound in the house.  Tried hardwired suggestion it worked for that one sonos product, and that would cut in and out. Using TP Link Deco mesh network.  All other smart house non-Sonos items working.

15 speakers, Sonos boost, Sonos Port…. the Sonos system decided one day to no longer connect. Silence.  
:( including from Sonos support…. it’s my fault (aka my network) while every other device in the house has it figured out….hmmmmm

The Deco contains a router, unless switched to bridge mode. A router would divide the local network into two IP subnets. Sonos players and controllers need to be on the same subnet.

EITHER: Put the Deco into bridge (AP) mode

OR: Ensure the Boost is wired to the Deco primary node, and that the phone is always on the Deco WiFi. (As insurance, disable the main router’s WiFi.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I'm on Deco S4's in "Router Mode".

Your best bet is to connect Sonos via the Deco WiFi (NOT wired SonosNet).

Once all Sonos Speakers are connected to the Deco SSID make sure your Phones, controllers ONLY connect to same SSID.

I think trying to wire in a Bridge to the Deco is just doomed to failure personally.

I didn't just want Access Point Mesh, I wanted the S4's to take over running our network.

Took a bit of faffing to get Sonos onto the Deco wifi network but once on it's been as stable as SonosNet ever was imho.

Overall I was very weary of introducing a Mesh system into our house but the Deco S4's have been brilliant.

I think trying to wire in a Bridge to the Deco is just doomed to failure personally.

Not a Bridge (obviously, since that’s S1 only), but why exactly is wiring to a LAN port on the primary node doomed to failure?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It doesn't work satisfactorily (for me anyway) but others may have better luck.

Have you got a Deco 4s Mesh?.

I'm only speaking from personal experience.

Have you got a Deco 4s Mesh?.

No. 

The fact is that Sonos has mixed results on WiFI meshes (in WiFi mode), for various reasons, and the standard advice if problems occur is to wire Sonos to the primary mesh node. 

The Deco contains a router, unless switched to bridge mode. A router would divide the local network into two IP subnets. Sonos players and controllers need to be on the same subnet.

OR: Ensure the Boost is wired to the Deco primary node, and that the phone is always on the Deco WiFi. (As insurance, disable the main router’s WiFi.)

1st; Thank You for the quick reply.

2nd; Observation, the interest & amount of likes & replies, would suggest Sonos needs to deploy a more robust solution.

3rd; After all below gyrations, one iPhone11 can now control Sonos.  No other iPads, iPhones, Sonos desktop app. 

1st; Thank You for the quick reply.

2nd; Observation, the interest & amount of likes & replies, would suggest Sonos needs to deploy a more robust solution.

More robust solution? Sonos makes clear in the system requirements that all devices must be on the same subnet. The problem is that many people deploy a WiFi mesh router without knowing what it’s actually doing to their local network.

3rd; After all below gyrations, one iPhone11 can now control Sonos.  No other iPads, iPhones, Sonos desktop app.

What gyrations? Are you saying devices other than the iPhone 11 can’t access the Sonos system? In that case you’d better explain what you’ve done so far.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I have similar problem , sometimes the app tells me that system is not found and to go through find my system steps , it then gets stuck on finding the system and never does work. 

when I remove the app couple of times from background then it starts to work , but its nor reliable solution at all...

Have you called Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

On top of what found here - I had this issue (system visible from iPad but not from iPhone app) after switching to a new router. What resolved it is was to disable the router broadcast channel “auto” setting and select a fixed one. Hope this helps.

Since upgrading to the latest version of the Sonos App (and some hardware), my iphone cannot find my system all of the time. Some times it does but most of the time it doesnt. The Sonos App on my laptop (Mac) finds the system all of the time. I have tried everything that has been suggested on this thread with no positive results.

So, what did Sonos support say when you called them?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Having same issue with my Sonos Connect. I am able to installed everything, and it connects to my network just fine. Then it randomly decides to “Unable to connect to Sonos. Lets fix it!” Today, I started playing music by using the app just fine, and about 15 minutes later I was attempting to change the station, and I got the “Unable to connect to Sonos. Lets Fix it!" message. 

I ended up disconnecting my Sonos connect and put a different media player back on my network, and it didn’t have any issues.

I hope Sonos figures out how to fix this soon.

Since upgrading to the latest version of the Sonos App (and some hardware), my iphone cannot find my system all of the time. Some times it does but most of the time it doesnt. The Sonos App on my laptop (Mac) finds the system all of the time. I have tried everything that has been suggested on this thread with no positive results.

Same here. I have been using Sonos since 2011 and I have had setups much more complicated than the one I have now.

iPhone with S2 app

Beam gen. 1

Sub gen. 2

Ikea Synfonisk gen. 2 (2)

(setup as 5.1)

Roam

I have reinstalled everything from scratch multiple times and it works for a couple days then the problem everyone describes comes back to haunt me. I have noticed that turning on the Roam almost instantly breaks the system. Otherwise it seems to happen randomly.

Do something soon Sonos or I’m selling everything and I’m never coming back!

Regards. 

I suggest that you refrain from Factory Reset without further consult. Factory Reset rarely cures fundamental issues, but it might accidentally work around something for a short while.

On top of what found here - I had this issue (system visible from iPad but not from iPhone app) after switching to a new router. What resolved it is was to disable the router broadcast channel “auto” setting and select a fixed one. Hope this helps.

All my channels are fixed and always have been and I still have the issue. Do you confirm that this solution still works for your system?

I can assure you, the issue isn’t with the Sonos software. It is indeed an issue with the network you have. However, as you’ve expressed an unwillingness to accept solutions, I won’t offer any. 

If you have anything that could help others, please kindly share. I’m totally out of ideas. 🤯

There’s not enough data to give you any other than the same advice I’ve given in literally hundreds of other threads. Assign reserved IP addresses to your speakers, and refresh your network. And if that doesn’t work, submit a diagnostic and contact Sonos support. 

There’s not enough data to give you any other than the same advice I’ve given in literally hundreds of other threads. Assign reserved IP addresses to your speakers, and refresh your network. And if that doesn’t work, submit a diagnostic and contact Sonos support. 

Cautiously optimistic but I just tried your solution and my Sonos app connected right away. Thanks! 🍻

Cautiously optimistic but I just tried your solution and my Sonos app connected right away. Thanks! 🍻

THATS’IT, static adresses! 24 hours without any « unable to connect… » (for my system it’s a lot)! 🎉 Even the Roam can now be turned off and on at will without causing any problem. Thanks so much for the advice, I can start rebuilding my sanity.