Answered

Sonos app constantly fails to find system

• 17 October 2022
  • 7 replies

What is wrong with the Sonos app? Almost every time I try to use it I get the “Unable to connect, let’s fix it” error. I haven’t changed the network or the router, all my Sonos products are exactly as they were, nothing has changed. But I’m expected to go through all the setup again, which usually takes about 10 minutes (“This may take 1-2 minutes” ha ha ha). Usually it completes and says it still can’t find the devices, but then I can usually exit the app, go in again and it’s all ok. Sometimes I can open the app on a different device and it’s all working ok. It’s infuriating.

My Sonos One is always usable with Alexa, but the Play:1s can only be used via the app, so are effectively out of commission until an app on a device (Android phone or iPad) finds the system again. 

icon

Best answer by ratty 17 October 2022, 20:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Describe your network. Is there a WiFi mesh? Are there any extenders?

Alexa just wants an internet connection.

The Sonos controller needs to be on the same local IP subnet as the players. WiFi mesh routers and extenders can upset things. 

There’s plenty to read here:

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Have your neighbours changed their wifi setup? That might cause problems on your system. 
Have you tried running yours on a different channel? 
Are you running on wifi or SonosNet? 

There’s no mesh. There are no extenders, boosters, adapters, etc.. It’s just a simple router. 

All the devices connect to 5GHz. I don’t know how that can be changed, I don’t see any specific options on the Router configuration pages, or on the system config in the app.

Might help if I understood what is happening in the app, how it stores its data, how it finds the system components. I don’t suppose there’s any way to make it log what it’s doing.

I know there are many instances of this same query on here, mostly with these same answers or variations, but nothing seems to improve.

Not certain assuming this is connected yet for the last little while I've found the S2 application truly buggy. It's delayed to respond when I open it, doesn't show bunches refreshing when I change them, the now playing data falls behind. It's truly baffling for what ought to be a superior item!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

All signs of wifi trouble…….

I have the exact same problem as this, it is driving me crazy! I’ve literally wasted about 5 hours of my life setting up, using it, Unable to connect to SONOS, set it up, use it, Unable to connect to SONOS, repeat!

As you can tell I am really frustrated, I can’t see it being a WiFi issue, between first set up and re-opening the app, nothing changes. Like most people, I have multiple “smart” devices connected to my router and none of them have an issue. 

Some times I open the app, play the music, then a few seconds later it gives me the same message. Honestly, what it the point in it?

Sonos doesn’t connect like ‘multiple “smart” devices’, unfortunately, it’s much more dependent on cross talk, so a clean network is essential for use. 

You may want to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.