Sonos Amp- surround sound with separate room

• 6 May 2023
  • 1 reply

Hey all-

I want to build a surround sound system for my TV using existing Arc and Sub (gen 3) while incorporating new Sonos Amp and 4 architectural wall/ceiling speakers. I am placing 2 additional ceiling speakers in an adjacent room and hook all of the speakers to the amp via a speaker selector. Would the speaker selector allow me to turn off the 2 solo speakers when using TV/surround sound and would a single amp be able to support all of this? I know that the amp can support 6 architectural speakers but not sure in this arrangement. Hopefully this can work and save me from having to buy a second amp by only getting a speaker selector.

Thanks!

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Four in ceilings will work depending on the Ohm rating of the speakers. If they are Sonos by Sonance your OK (then even six speakers will work with an Amp).

There’s no way in a Sonos set up to disconnect the two speakers in the adjacent room. A non-Sonos speaker selector could do the trick though, but you’d have to manually set it when you want sound or want stop.

You do realize that using in ceilings for surrounds is a compromise because surround speakers should preferably be at ear height?