Answered

Sonos AMP subwoofer level adjustment appcrash

• 31 January 2022
  • 27 replies

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies

Does anyone use a Sonos AMP with a 3rd party sub?

When I try to change the subwoofer level in the app the app crashes. I have tried it on 2 android phones but both of them behave the same.

icon

Best answer by fforssell 1 February 2022, 14:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Userlevel 7

Make sure the app and your device(s) are up to date. At the very least delete the App, power cycle your device(s) and re-install the App. 

AjTrek1 thanks for your help but none of the options worked. I did a clean install afterwards on a friend's phone but without success. When you try to open the menu it crashes to home screen.

Userlevel 7

OK…does the app crash if you remove the sub? Is it possible to try the setup using an Apple device?

Unfortunatly I dont have any Iphones in house. 

But do you own a Sonos AMP with a 3’rd party subwoofer? There most be someone who can try to open the subwoofer volume level menu. I just want to know if it is only me or if its globally. I cannot imagine i’m the only one with this setup :p

When i get home from work i will disconnect the subwoofer and check again.

Badge

This seems to be a more general bug with the 14.0 Android app, as I currently experience this nuisance with my Amp + 2 Sonos Subs Gen2 and Gen3 (reproduced with both Android 10 and Android 8 phones/tablets, 2 different brands, altogether 4 devices.  IOS is just fine).  Sub volume is accessible when downgrading the app to 13.4.1, even if  rest of my system is running 14.0, but with 14.0 tapping sub volume just exits the whole app. 

Support claimed on chat that Sonos should be aware of the issue (or maybe I was fooled by a very cunning AI?).  Hopefully 14.0.1 drops asap with a fix.  Running a sideloaded older version is obviously just a stopgap.

I got exactly the same issue. It started after upgrading to 14.0 on Android. Contacted support but they couldn't help. 

I downgraded the app now i can change the sub level. thanks @fforssell 

On Android, Sonos app dies every time I try to adjust Sub settings. Performed fresh install and rebuilt (rediscover / added) sub to system. Surrounds (2x Sonos One) work great. Sub unusable.

Seems to have started after recent Android/Galaxy (S21 Ultra 5G) software update push.

Will try downgraded Sonos app but this is not right.

Sad with no sub!! 

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks,

--Matt 

Badge

Pairing a single sub with my rears as stereo pair (Symfonisk bookshelves) didn’t work properly with 14.0 Android, either, so something seems to be generally borked with subs and the Android 14.0 app volume control, as the issue is not specific to the Amp.  Should warrant a quick fix, I think.  According to Apkmirror 13.0.1 was released within a week and 12.0.1 within two, so 14.0.1 should not be too far away.  Fingers crossed.

Upon further investigation, I discovered that the problem is affecting my Windows PC Sonos app as well. Similar to my Android app, I have no way to access my sub settings.... the app crashes every time I click on the settings tab for the sub. Worse still on the desktop app, I cannot adjust my sub or surround volume or settings either.

Starting to think that the problem is with the software on board the Sonos devices.

I may try to uninstall, factory reset, reinstall and reconfigure my whole system but, with 6 Sonos One's, a Sub, and an Amp,, I'm not excited about the work required just to troubleshoot!

What is most frustrating is that I have not changed anything in my settings or network configuration and now my Sonos system does not work. That phone apps, desktop apps, and operating systems get pdated regularly without user control, I think this is on Sonos to explain and to find a solution. 

Need your help, Sonos.

Please reply.

Thanks!

I downgraded the app now i can change the sub level. thanks @fforssell 

@fforssell: How do I downgrade my Android Sonos app?

@MG-Craft , have you provided a diagnostic for Sonos to look at, and told them the number to look at? Most engineers I work with want hard data to look at when hunting bugs, and not just anecdotal evidence. I don’t doubt your conclusions, just think that providing a diagnostic after a crash would give them a lot more data to look at. Especially if they’re having difficulty reproducing the issue locally, your logs might help them understand much more quickly. 

Badge

A quick google search will tell you that “Open the app that you wish to downgrade. Tap on “Uninstall.” This will remove the current version of the app from your device. Tap on “Security” and check the box next to “Unknown Sources.” This will ensure that your system accepts third-party apps. Head over to ApkMirror and download the desired version of the app.”.  Furthermore, you need to disable auto-update for the app in Play Store, otherwise you will end up with the current version reasonably quickly.

This is probably something Sonos absolutely dicourages you from doing.  Me nor anyone else will take no responsibility for the results or the security of said procedure, so proceed fully at your own risk.

@fforssell: Thanks!

@Airgetlam: I have the logs but have not yet opened a trouble ticket with Sonos. Will do now… Thanks!

Badge

@MG-Craft , have you provided a diagnostic for Sonos to look at, and told them the number to look at? Most engineers I work with want hard data to look at when hunting bugs, and not just anecdotal evidence. I don’t doubt your conclusions, just think that providing a diagnostic after a crash would give them a lot more data to look at. Especially if they’re having difficulty reproducing the issue locally, your logs might help them understand much more quickly. 

@Airgetlam The support chat already told me that the issue was known, without asking for a diagnostic number, and I didn’t insist on providing one.  Should I doubt their answer?

That’s up to you. I’m a big believer in ‘more hard data is better’, along with the obverse ‘there sometimes is more than one issue that can cause a symptom’, so to me, providing them the opportunity to either say ‘yep’ or ‘huh, that’s different’ is important. 

I have worked with a bunch of interesting and extremely talented engineers over the last several decades. Giving them hard data has always been better than any other approach. And sometimes, the issue hasn’t been what was assumed, but something completely different, either unique to my setup, or issues with the way I was doing something, etc. which wouldn’t show up in the ‘telling’ part, just in the logs. 

He guys… quick update.

With my Sonos desktop app, I just completed an uninstall, reinstall, and update cycle and - much to my happy surprise - I discovered that the app was updated and the problem was fixed… at least on my Windows PC.

Last night:

This morning: 

Will turn back to the Android app issue later… back to work for now.

Thanks for your input along the way.

[SOLVED FOR MY CONFIGURATION] My original configuration was just an older Playbar. Later, I added a pair of Ikea SYMFONISK Bookshelf speakers to this Playbar product, a single "Room". Side note, which I'll discuss later - I don't know if I could have added the stereo pair of surrounds separate from the Playbar.

I next acquired the Amp and added Sonance architectural speakers and a pair of third party speakers in a new "Room". I recently added the Gen 3 Sub and associated it with product Playbar (with its attached SYMFONISK Bookshelf speakers.)  With both Rooms grouped together the Sub audio level menu as accessed from product Playbar worked fine.

As much as the Sub added a great new dimension I thought I might be able to get more control over it by disassociating it from the surrounds (where it is physically located near) and connecting it to the Amp instead. This turned ou to be a mistake as this now rendered the Sub audio menu unusable and crashed the Android S2 app. Deleting and reinstalling the app had no effect. (btw, I had no interest in reverting to a previous app version.)  In my new configuration the Sub, while continuing to function at the same audio level (as previously setup) was no longer controllable in its Sub Audio Level menu from product Amp.

My solution was first to remove the Sub from the Amp product. Fortuitously, I also removed the SYMFONISK stereo pair from product Playbar as well.  Sonos then offered to add the Sub which I then connected back to the Playbar as before.  Sonos now offered to create a new SYMFONISK stereo pair: "Surrounds (L+R)", now completely separate from the Playbar.

At this point I now have three Products grouped together in "Living" Room:
1- Amp+Sonance+Front-3d party associated with product Amp
2- Playbar (+Sub) associated with product Playbar
3- Surrounds (L+R) associated with products SYMFONISK Bookshelf (Right) and SYMFONISK Bookshelf (Left).

This configuration allows the Sub Audio Level menu to function correctly when accessing it from its associated Playbar product as before. In retrospect I ended up just removing the Ikea SYMFONISK Bookshelf speakers from Playbar and creating a new surround pair separate from the Playbar. I don't recall having that option with my original configuration as I believe the surrounds needed to be associated with a product - someone correct me.  The end result is I have the better control over the Sub that I was originally seeking.

This solution worked for me and hopefully this helps someone diagnose and solve their problem with the Sub Audio menu crashing their Android app.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Good to hear the setup is working well for you, but if the problem is that the app crashes when the sub is associated with the Amp, it doesn’t sound like the problem was resolved — it’s just being avoided by not associating the sub with the Amp? Apologies if I’ve misunderstood.

it should be noted that the speakers you refer to as your surrounds are not actually surrounds anymore since you’ve removed them from the Playbar, they’re just a stereo pair. If you group them with the Playbar when you’re watching TV  you won’t be getting 5.1 surround sound anymore; they’ll just be playing the same audio as your Playbar, possibly with a noticeable delay. All good if that was your goal.

Badge

No fix with 14.0.2 on Android, still not able to adjust sub volume on my Amp.  Otherwise the system works just fine, subs and all.  Using iOS is the recommended temporary workaround, surprise surprise.

[Open ticket, diagnostics sent]

Good to hear the setup is working well for you, but if the problem is that the app crashes when the sub is associated with the Amp, it doesn’t sound like the problem was resolved — it’s just being avoided by not associating the sub with the Amp? Apologies if I’ve misunderstood.

it should be noted that the speakers you refer to as your surrounds are not actually surrounds anymore since you’ve removed them from the Playbar, they’re just a stereo pair. If you group them with the Playbar when you’re watching TV  you won’t be getting 5.1 surround sound anymore; they’ll just be playing the same audio as your Playbar, possibly with a noticeable delay. All good if that was your goal.

You are correct sir, I couldn’t get the app to run correctly with the sub when associated with the amp. To keep it from crashing in the Android app I did a workaround to regain control of the Sub’s audio which was my goal.  Which is why I said it was solved for my config.  I couldn’t find any other way to do this myself or from info the forums, and it’s apparent Sonos isn’t going to resolve this bug anytime soon.  I’m simply offering this workaround for the meantime.

Also, as I mentioned, once I disconnected the SYMFONISKs from the Playbar the Sonos Android app offered to create a new "SYMFONISK stereo pair" which Sonos then designated "Surrounds (L+R)". And Sonos System Info in About My System specifies them: SYMFONISK Bookshelf: Surrounds (R) and (L).  I’m assuming they are indeed surrounds since that’s what Sonos is calling them.  There is a separate slider control for just the SYMFONISKs.

Today's update to v.14.0.4, but still on Android phones, the application crashes when setting up an external subwoofer on Sonos Amp .....
Will this be fixed at all ???? or is Sonos ignoring it?

I have exactly the same problem. Always thought it was some temporary bug and have tried factory reseting my amp but the app crashes as soon as I press sub volume. Sonos can you please fix this. It used to work fine a coupe of months ago.

The last version that worked was 13.4.1.
As of version 14.0.0 it does not work ....
Tested on Samsung + Xiaomi phones.
I don't know if anyone from Sonos Technical Support is reading this forum at all ....

Sonos Technical Support does not, to my knowledge, read this forum. I suspect that the Forum Moderators provide a summary to Tech Support, but I don’t know if that’s daily, or weekly.

If you want to communicate directly with Sonos Support, you should call Sonos Support directly to discuss your concerns.