Sonos Amp Sonos 5 and Sonos 1 plus Sub all stopped working.

• 2 January 2024
  • 1 reply

I have a Sonos Amp with two external speakers, 3 Sonos 5 gen 1, and 1 Sonos 1 gen 1. Two bridges and one boost are in use, but the power pack is damaged. After changing my router, I can't connect to the new one. Despite reconfiguring, the Sonos 5 now shows an orange light. Need assistance. Also, Sonos lacks good backup service, especially in Africa. Difficulty reaching them; wouldn't recommend their products here. They need to address their responsibilities.

Moderator edit: removed email address

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Odulaja 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Please do note post your email address to a public forum as it’s probably the single best way to receive spam emails - we have removed it for you, hopefully quickly enough.

When moving a Sonos system using SonosNet to a new router, all you need to do is connect the ethernet cables to the new router (unless you have Move, Move 2 or Era models without the ethernet adaptor, which still need your WiFi credentials).

You don’t mention which product has damaged power pack, but I’ll assume it’s one of the Bridges. We recommend that you no longer use Bridges as they have long since passed their usefulness. Please just connect your Boost to the router via ethernet, and you should be up and running (assuming you haven’t reset anything, that is). If that doesn’t work, please try another cable, or wiring a speaker to the router instead. I just looked to see if you currently had any units online, but none are. There are seven separate systems associated with your account, however, so I can’t even tell which system you are referring to. It’s possible that when trying to connect using a Bridge or Boost, you are using a speaker which is not on the same system to test things with and are therefore failing.

While I would normally say to you that you should not factory reset a Sonos product unless specifically instructed to do so, it seems you may need to factory reset some to get them to join the rest. If you get one speaker online and it has your settings, favourites and playlists, make sure to not reset it, but be prepared to reset others if they do not show up after powering on.

A steady orange light generally means that the unit failed to set up - rebooting it should get it back to flashing green and ready for setup. This does mean that you reset the unit, though, which as I mentioned is not the way to go - if you ethernet-wire a speaker, best to wire one other than this one (one that has not been reset). More detail on LED colours is on our Sonos LED lights help page.

We do not ship products to Africa, so we do not provide product support in Africa either. However, you can get in touch with our technical support team via chat - they are in a better position to provide real-time support than I, which I think is best in this particular situation.

I hope this helps.