Answered

Sonos AMP (Gen 2) subwoofer WITHOUT high pass on main speakers

• 11 November 2022
  • 12 replies

Hello! I tried to fit the whole question into the title, but will clarify abit.

I have a Sonos AMP Gen 2, which I have connected a 3rd party subwoofer to using the RCA LFE out on the amp. This works perfectly, but it also activates an adjustable high-pass filter for the main speakers. I wish to turn this filter off completely and have the full range signal go to my main speakers, even though I still use the sub. I cannot find this setting anywhere. Thankful for assistance!

icon

Best answer by Xaero 12 November 2022, 16:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

There is no such setting in Sonos’ software, sorry. 

The bypass operates as soon as there is even a blank plug inserted into the Sub out on the Amp, and this cannot be avoided.

If your Sub has high level inputs that can take speaker level signals, you can wire the speakers terminals of the Amp to it, exactly as the main speaker pair is wired to the Amp, and have the speaker pair wired to the speaker out jacks on the Sub. If the latter are not there, wire both Sub and speaker pair to the Amp speaker terminals.

Wow… that’s really bad… that means I have to replace this amp….

Or the sub? Why do you want to pass on all the signal to the main speakers anyway?

Or the sub? Why do you want to pass on all the signal to the main speakers anyway?

Because they are full range speakers….

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So you do not need a sub?

So you do not need a sub?

I do need a sub to cover 18-45Hz and to smoothen out the bass coverage in the room. But my main speakers are 15 inch high efficiency coaxial, so I want them full range.

The Sonos Amp can be set to pass all signals above 50Hz to the main speakers; that should allow them to deliver full value without having an overlapping low bass presence with the sub that may cause more issues than it addresses.

The Sonos Amp can be set to pass all signals above 50Hz to the main speakers; that should allow them to deliver full value without having an overlapping low bass presence with the sub that may cause more issues than it addresses.

Hello! I tried setting it to 50Hz, and it just cuts off too much bottom. It’s just really wierd to force you into using high pass filter just because you connect a sub. This amp is pretty much useless to me now.

The amp is “useless” only if your Sub does not have speaker level input capability.

I am curious: how low do those speakers go in a +3/-3 dB range?

FYI, from the manual of a Sub that WILL work with the Sonos Amp, wired to its speaker terminals. The Sub has a variable low pass filter and a fixed high pass one applied to the speaker out terminals on the Sub.

High Pass Filter. Removes frequency content below 80 Hz from the full-range signal sent from the Sub8 outputs. This is useful if your main studio monitors do not have their own high pass filter.
Power User Tip: Leaving frequency content below 80 Hz in full-range monitors can cancel out or reinforce the highest frequencies that are reproduced by the Eris Sub8. This can make the bass response of the overall system muddy and ill-defined. By rolling off your full-range speakers, you will create a more linear frequency response between the subwoofer and full-range content.
Low Pass Filter. This control determines the upper end of the frequency range reproduced by the Eris Sub8. If you have enabled the onboard High Pass Filter, set the Low Pass Filter control to 80 Hz. Otherwise, set the Low Pass Filter control to the lowest frequency that your main monitors can reliably reproduce.

YMMV.

Hello. Thanks for response! My Sub does not take high level inputs. It only takes either RCA or Balanced XLR. My main speakers are Vestlyd V15C that go pretty straight down to 36Hz, and then smoothly rolls off below that. My speakers and the sub is the 2 best performing components in this setup, the amp is the lesser of the components, so I rather ditch the Sonos AMP for a real full featured amplifier than switching out the sub. I was just hoping to use the Sonos AMP since I already have it, and it does perform quite good for what it is. Thank you all for your time.