Answered

Sonos Airplay totally broken when Airplay password is enabled

• 31 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Whenever someone enables Airplay Require Password on the Apple TV or in the Apple Home app every Sonos speaker in the house blocks itself from receiving an Airplay stream and asks for an AirPlay Password.

Airplay works fine to Apple devices but not to Sonos devices once the password is enabled. Disabling the AirPlay password on the Apple TV or Home app has no effect on any of the Sonos speakers. They still ask for an Airplay password.

The only thing which seems to fix the issue is resetting each Sonos speaker one by one.

Anyone experienced this problem?

(I’ve tried calling Sonos but keep getting disconnected case number 04688582 / diagnostics 726588139)

icon

Best answer by leonroy 1 February 2023, 10:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Why would you enable Airplay “Require password” in the first place? If you do not trust people to use Airplay they should not be on your network - that’s what guest networks are there for.

I cannot believe Sonos would still think there’s a password required when there isn’t anymore, especially after a reboot, but you seem to need a reset. Seems strange indeed……

Why would you enable Airplay “Require password” in the first place?

One of my kids, my wife etc. might have turned it on in the Apple TV or Home app. Not hugely bothered if there’s an Airplay password - so long as it works - unfortunately with Sonos Airplay passwords don’t work and now all speakers seem stuck and won’t accept any password for Airplay.

Just an update after spending an hour on the phone troubleshooting with Sonos support.

The call got escalated to an engineer who immediately responded with:

The solution is to remove each Sonos device from HomeKit and reset each Sonos device in turn before re-adding to the Sonos app.

By 'remove from HomeKit' I assume they mean don't add the Sonos speaker to the Apple Home app - which is a shame because that app lets you do clever stuff like pause the music if you leave the house etc.

They also indicated that it would be best if I don't add my Sonos devices to the Apple Home app in future.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could also tell your kids and your wife only you are allowed to change the settings on the ATV…..

Badge +20

Just an update after spending an hour on the phone troubleshooting with Sonos support.

The call got escalated to an engineer who immediately responded with:

The solution is to remove each Sonos device from HomeKit and reset each Sonos device in turn before re-adding to the Sonos app.

By 'remove from HomeKit' I assume they mean don't add the Sonos speaker to the Apple Home app - which is a shame because that app lets you do clever stuff like pause the music if you leave the house etc.

They also indicated that it would be best if I don't add my Sonos devices to the Apple Home app in future.

So remove, factory reset then you can add again to both Sonos and HomeKit, just do not set up the PIN.

I did this a few months ago by mistake. Had to start from scratch on everything. Removed all Sonos from homekit, reset all sonos devices. Took several hours. Surprised to hear they said don’t put Sonos speakers into HomeKit. What is the point of Airplay and home automation in general?   If Sonos keeps pushing in that direction I’m eventually going to junk it and just go all Apple Homepods.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Homekit has had a fault since some time for non-Apple speakers. That could be the reason.