Sonance - MAG Series 2.0-Ch. Outdoor Streaming Vs. Sonos - Architectural 6-1/2" Passive 2-Way Outdoor Speakers

• 18 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

I’m conflicted and I need some help, right now Best Buy has a pair of Sonance - MAG Series 2.0-Ch. Outdoor Streaming speaker and a Sonos Amp 2nd Gen. on sale for $1,000 while a pair of Sonos - Architectural 6-1/2" Passive 2-Way Outdoor Speakers are $875 and the amp another $700.  Can someone explain to me the difference between the Sonance - MAG Series 2.0-Ch. Outdoor Streaming speakers and the Sonos - Architectural 6-1/2" Passive 2-Way Outdoor Speakers.  Do they produce the same level of sound and clarity or is there a material difference between them.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sonny.Ade 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I can’t really answer as to how different these MAG Series speakers actually sound as compared to Sonance Architectural Outdoor speakers, but I can tell you that the Architectural range is designed in collaboration with Sonos and are the only speakers that allow Sonos’ TruePlay feature to work on the Sonos Amp. Given that the same two companies are involved in each deal, I think it’s a safe bet to say that the more expensive speakers probably sound better, even without taking TruePlay into account. Whether the difference is worth $575, only you can say, and only after trying both.

I did take a look at https://www.sonance.com/outdoor and as the MAG Series is not mentioned, I assume they are discontinued.

The BestBuy page describes the MAG Series as 80 Watt, but the Amp is 125, so some power is left behind. Architecturals are 130 Watt.

I hope this helps.

But @Corry P , trueplay tuning isn’t available on the outdoor speakers, correct?  Or do I have that wrong?

It’s just my opinion, but with outdoor speakers, you generally aren’t going to use a sub.  Therefore, the minimum frequency response, how low the speakers can go, tends to be something I look at.  Those MAG speakers get down to 65Hz, while the Sonos/Sonance are at 55Hz.    That’s pretty significant to me.  That said, you can get outdoor speakers that can go lower than 55Hz.  Whether that’s low enough for you depends on your own personal tastes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thank you @melvimbe - you are absolutely correct

@Sonny.Ade - please ignore anything I said about TruePlay.

Badge +2

Hi @Sonny.Ade 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I can’t really answer as to how different these MAG Series speakers actually sound as compared to Sonance Architectural Outdoor speakers, but I can tell you that the Architectural range is designed in collaboration with Sonos and are the only speakers that allow Sonos’ TruePlay feature to work on the Sonos Amp. Given that the same two companies are involved in each deal, I think it’s a safe bet to say that the more expensive speakers probably sound better, even without taking TruePlay into account. Whether the difference is worth $575, only you can say, and only after trying both.

I did take a look at https://www.sonance.com/outdoor and as the MAG Series is not mentioned, I assume they are discontinued.

The BestBuy page describes the MAG Series as 80 Watt, but the Amp is 125, so some power is left behind. Architecturals are 130 Watt.

I hope this helps.

Thanks @Corry P  for the information and research, I may buy both and try them out. 

Badge +2

But @Corry P , trueplay tuning isn’t available on the outdoor speakers, correct?  Or do I have that wrong?

It’s just my opinion, but with outdoor speakers, you generally aren’t going to use a sub.  Therefore, the minimum frequency response, how low the speakers can go, tends to be something I look at.  Those MAG speakers get down to 65Hz, while the Sonos/Sonance are at 55Hz.    That’s pretty significant to me.  That said, you can get outdoor speakers that can go lower than 55Hz.  Whether that’s low enough for you depends on your own personal tastes.

Thanks @melvimbe, I need to learn more about the frequency, I’ve only focused on the wattage and sound. 

You won’t see them listed on the website. The MAG series are Magnolia special brands for sale in Best Buy.

I went down a real rabbit hole when picking out speakers for my inside and outside setup. I personally have 2 outdoor MAG series speakers as well as the in ceiling 6 indoor MAG8R and 4 indoor MAG6R. They are fantastic speakers for the price point (when on sale, typically $320 and $170 respectively for a pair) and if you can catch them on sale and you aren’t an audiophile, you should be thrilled with them. 

For reference when looking up these speakers. The Mariner 64 is equivalent to the Sonos Outdoor. The MAG Outdoor that the OP is asking about performs similar to Mariner 54 in frequency range, however with a larger 6.5” driver and 80 watts power output. It sits at a sweet spot between the 54 and 64. And like all MAG series only becomes attractive at a price point when on sale.