Sonance 6.1MAG Backyard Speaker Layout

• 14 April 2024
  • 9 replies

Badge +2

Picked up the Sonance 6.1MAG w/ Sonos amp and looking for assistance on speaker layout around our back patio.

I tried to prioritize speaker locations based on primary sitting positions - pergola, sun ledge, fire pit & pool denoted by the orange dots.  This leaves out the area to the right I circled in pink and the back fence line.

Thoughts on current position or changes you would make? 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

On the Sonos side I’d suggest running the Amp in mono mode.

For speaker placement you might want to work with other Sonance speaker users on their forums or consult their support as that system isn’t directly sold by Sonos.

I recommend using two AMP’s. This will allow you to separately adjust Volume near the pool.

Badge +2

I recommend using two AMP’s. This will allow you to separately adjust Volume near the pool.

Would like to use 2 amps however I Sonance let me know I am unable use just 2x satellite speakers as there would be an impedance issue.  

Would like to use 2 amps however I Sonance let me know I am unable use just 2x satellite speakers as there would be an impedance issue.  

Yes, you can’t use just 2 of the Sonance sat speakers, but setup one amp with the speaker setup as designed, and then cover the circled area with a 2nd amp and 2 speakers….not that I would recommend that.

I honestly think your existing setup is fine, but you can try it out before burying cable to make sure you like the layout before committing. Some of the decision will be impacted by any plants you might have between speaker and seating area.

I have a somewhat similar shaped backyard.  I have 2 pairs of speakers along the back wall powered by one amp.  Then I have a single pair under the porch (pergula for you) that covers that area.  It’s not necessary, but  help to control volume in that space.  I also I have 3rd area/side yard, but it’s not really useful, and not relevant for you.

Badge +2

Yes, you can’t use just 2 of the Sonance sat speakers, but setup one amp with the speaker setup as designed, and then cover the circled area with a 2nd amp and 2 speakers….not that I would recommend that.

I honestly think your existing setup is fine, but you can try it out before burying cable to make sure you like the layout before committing. Some of the decision will be impacted by any plants you might have between speaker and seating area.

I have a somewhat similar shaped backyard.  I have 2 pairs of speakers along the back wall powered by one amp.  Then I have a single pair under the porch (pergula for you) that covers that area.  It’s not necessary, but  help to control volume in that space.  I also I have 3rd area/side yard, but it’s not really useful, and not relevant for you.

Thx for your feedback.  I was prioritizing for primary sitting areas.  2x for pergola & deck, 2x firepit, 2x behind the water feature wall in a raised garden bed pointing at the house with sub at the end like this:

I would speak to a rep who understands impedance. In some ways this is like having a 3-ton truck, but only a two ton load. The truck doesn’t mind and neither will AMP.

SUB will be attached to one or the other AMP. Ultimately you may enjoy a second SUB.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

These Sonance 6.1MAG speakers are a bit different than a conventional set of speakers. The set of 6, to include the sub is specified as 8 Ohms when connected in parallel, three to each channel and the sub to both.

No idea what you’d get if trying to install as individual speakers instead of as the set.

AMP is more robust than typical amplifiers and will tolerate occasional dips below 4-Ohms. There are a few high end speakers that will dip below 4-Ohms at very low frequencies. These speakers will fluster commodity grade amplifiers, encouraging the user to purchase high end, expensive, over designed/priced amplifiers.

In the case of the SONANCE speakers, their characteristics are known and are within AMP’s capabilities when up to three pairs are connected. Another feature of these speakers is that they will respond to a pilot tone emitted by Trueplay. This is why Trueplay can recognize and deal with them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Buzz, you may have missed the Sonance speakers he is looking at, they are not the Sonos/Sonance ones sold by Sonos, but the Sonance 6.1MAG speaker system.

I don’t think Sonos supports three of them connected or supports Trueplay on these.

https://www.amazon.com/Sonance-Outdoor-Streaming-Sound-System/dp/B09D2DJCF7