So confused about sound drops

• 7 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

Ok, so I wanted to set up my existing Play 1s to work with a CD player and a record player so I got a ZP80, an RCA switch, and a phono pre-amp. Good enough. However, the sound stopped coming from the CD player periodically (no rhyme or reason) and now I am not getting any sound from the CD player, whatsoever. The CD player is working according to the display (I can see the track progressing) but no sound. And I have no trouble at all with streaming or record playback, so that is odd. Seriously considering going back to old-fashioned speaker if I can’t get this to work. Can somebody throw me a bone? Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Could be the cd player itself, the RCA switch or cables from CD player to switch. Try swapping the cables around, and also try plugging the CD player directly into ZP80.

If your CD player has an optical out try that.

Badge

Hi, I swapped the cables around and I am still having issues. I am puzzled how the record player has no problems (going through a pre-amp, an RCA switch, a ZP-80, and the Sonos controller) but the CD player has unpredictable sound drops. You mentioned an optical out. Can you plug in a CD player to a ZP-80? I ask because it looks like the optical port on the ZP-80 says “optical out.” Does that matter?

Can anyone think of any other possibilities for my issue?

Thanks!

-Clint

Sorry, my mistanke - the optical is out only.

Did you try connecting the CD player directly to the ZP80, bypassing the switch?

Can you test the CD player by connecting it to a regular HI-FI system? If you don’t own one yourself then maybe a friend’s?

Badge

Thanks. Yeah, I did plug the CD player in by itself and still had the same issue. I also just figured out that the record player cuts out, too. So maybe it has something to do with the Sonos Controller or the ZP-80. Maybe I should try to reset the system from scratch? How would I do that? Thanks!

I doubt a reset will help.

It could be the ZP failing. Submit a diagnostic within a few minutes after the drop outs, post the diagnostic number here and hope for a Sonos employee to pick it up - or even better call Sonos Support to discuss the diagnostic.