s2 on Apple devices can’t find system

• 13 December 2020
  • 4 replies

I have two Play1 speakers. They work fine from a Windows laptop using S2 app, however none of four Apple devices (two iPads and two iPhones all running ios14.2 with S2 apps installed) can find the system. Broadband router is Sky Q. 

I have been through all the recommended solutions, including using Ethernet cable (which works fine  whilst connected but then the speaker cannot be found on wifi)

I can’t say whether the problem started when Sky Q router was installed or ios14.2, as I didn’t use Sonos in the couple of weeks between the two.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Andy Orange.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this to our attention. I know how confusing it can be that other Sonos controller works but not your iPhone mobile device. Let me help you out with that.

I would like to recommend the following steps.

1. Can we try to check (your computer and your iPhone) if they are both connected to the same WiFi name. If they are not, please make sure they are connected to the same WIFi name. It may help if we move a little bit closer to a Sonos product while we turn off and turn on the Wifi connectivity on your iPhone.
  2. Close the mobile data connection on your iPhone and restart the mobile device by turning it off and turning it back on. Let’s move a little closer to your Sonos device.
  3. Once your iPhone is turned back on and you are close to one of your Sonos product, turn on the WiFi connection of your iPhone (keep mobile data off) and connect to the same WiFi name your computer is connected to.
  4. Open the Sonos App and tap on connect to the existing system.

If the above recommendation does not work, I would like to ask if we can submit a diagnostic from your working computer Sonos App so we can check what is going on. I would also like to ask if we can provide some details about your network to be able to understand your network layout.

1. Router make and model.
  2. Modem make and model.
  3. Wifi booster or extender make and model.
  4. Mesh system make and model.
  5. Secondary or tertiary router make and model.
  6. Other devices wired to the router.
  7. Network switch or hub make and model.
  8. Other devices wirelessly connected to the router.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. Here in the community, everybody can help you out.

Thanks,

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@Andy Orange in addition to Paul’s suggestion, double check that the Sonos apps have local network access in iOS settings.

Settings>scroll to Sonos> toggle local network 

Thanks for your suggestions. I was holding off doing anything until the weekend when I had a bit of time.

All of the devices were on the same wifi. I have a booster which creates an extension, and had been wary of that problem, but double checked all were on the same. I also checked that the apps had local network access.

I noticed while browsing the community that there is an issue over having the iOS wifi settings on private address. The iPad Air 2 was on private, and changing that resolved the problem for that device. However the other three would still not find Sonos.

Midweek, a day or two after resolving the issue on the Air2,my partner mentioned that she had found Sonos on her iPhone. We then checked my iPhone and her iPad and found that those three also now had found Sonos and were working with it.

I am at a loss to explain. We did nothing between the three not finding Sonos then working OK. I don’t know whether there had been some software upgrade to iOS (still says 14.2), or to my router - but that doesn’t explain why the disabling of private network made the older iPad work but not the other devices. Whilst I am not a tech guru, I am certainly not a technophobe and can resolve most user adjustable settings myself, so don’t think it was anything obvious I was missing.

As above, thanks for your suggestions. It is really good to know that there is a route to getting help with frustrating issues like this.

There is still a slight issue in that none of the Apple devices can access my YouTube music collection - except playlists but as it is rare I play direct from songs, albums or artists, that one is can wait for another day....

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Andy Orange.

Thanks for the detailed update and immediate response.

I would like to recommend contacting our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps. I would also like to suggest submitting a diagnostic so we can also check what is going on with the Sonos ecosystem. I would also like to ask if we can provide some details about your network to be able to understand your network layout.

1. Router make and model.
  2. Modem make and model.
  3. Wifi booster or extender make and model.
  4. Mesh system make and model.
  5. Secondary or tertiary router make and model.
  6. Other devices wired to the router.
  7. Network switch or hub make and model.
  8. Other devices wirelessly connected to the router.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. Here in the community, everybody can help you out.

Thanks,

I hope this helps.

Please let me know how it goes. I’ll be more than happy to help if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks,