Question

Restart router everytime.

• 7 October 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I have two Sonos One and A Sonos One SL which ago worked together (fairly) happily with the Virgin  SH3 router. 

Iv added a Symfonisk book shelf speaker and now have to reboot the router EVERY time for the Sonos app to recognise any speaker. 

Any suggestions on solutions!?

Cheers 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Next time, unplug the Sonos devices, all of them, including the IKEA, before rebooting the router. Once the router comes back up, plug them all back in.

Or, look in to assigning reserved IP addresses for all of your network devices in your router’s DHCP table, instructions should be in the router’s manual.

Might also be worth reading the the wifi interference FAQ, but I don’t think in this case it’s the issue….but still good information to be aware of. 

Next time, unplug the Sonos devices, all of them, including the IKEA, before rebooting the router. Once the router comes back up, plug them all back in.

Or, look in to assigning reserved IP addresses for all of your network devices in your router’s DHCP table, instructions should be in the router’s manual.

Might also be worth reading the the wifi interference FAQ, but I don’t think in this case it’s the issue….but still good information to be aware of. 

Thanks for that, tried your first suggestions but unfortunately hasn't cleared the issue. 

Will look into assigning a reserved  ip address 

Thanks 

whoareyou,

Another option is to perhaps see if switching your device connection from WiFi to SonosNet by wiring one device to the router might improve the wireless connection between devices… see this document:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235

If you do opt to use SonosNet, then set the channel in the Sonos App ‘Settings/System/Network’ so that it is at least 5 channels away from your routers 2.4ghz channel.

Hmmm. If the unplugging, then rebooting the router didn’t work, assigning IP addresses, while a good thing in general, won’t work either, it’s just a short term vs. long term fix for the same problem.

Take a look at that FAQ, but I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, when all devices are actually showing up again, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis.  

Note: the key part of that suggestion I made is that the Sonos devices have to be unplugged while rebooting the router. If you do it in sequence, rather than concurrently, it doesn’t have the same effect. 

Just in case :)

whoareyou,

Another option is to perhaps see if switching your device connection from WiFi to SonosNet by wiring one device to the router might improve the wireless connection between devices… see this document:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235

If you do opt to use SonosNet, then set the channel in the Sonos App ‘Settings/System/Network’ so that it is at least 5 channels away from your routers 2.4ghz channel.

I do have one connected by ethernet, so could look at that. Thanks