Remove Dead Bridge

• 7 December 2020
  • 2 replies

All,

Just spent 90 minutes on the phone with Sonos support, they had me running in circles.  Hoping for some guidance here.

Long time very satisfied Sonos user, my system is old.  Bridge, (3) Connects, Connect Amp, and (5) Play:1 speakers.  The wall wart power cord for the Bridge died, so the system was without wireless connection.  No Ethernet connections in my old house, so I hauled a Connect in and attached it to the router.  System came back up in my Sonos S1 app.

Questions for the forum:

1. Do I even need to replace the Bridge with a Boost?  None of my Sonos components are near an Ethernet connections, so I suspect I do.  Or can they all just communicate on my home wifi now?
  2. If I need the Boost, is it backwards compatible with my old system, or am I better off finding a used Bridge on Ebay?

I’ll start reading through the forum here and learning what Sonos has done in the past 4-5 years since I stopped paying attention.  Honestly I’ve been enjoying my system, and I couldn’t spend another freakin minute on the phone with tech support having them ask me for the 5th time to plug in the Bridge when that is the issue I called about!

Software engineer by trade, just got lazy and was enjoying the music.  I suppose now that I’m wrenching on the system I should integrate it with Alexa once I get it working… :)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Got an idea that worked out.  I found a NOS Bridge on Ebay for $15.  Ordered.  I’ll replace the wall wart on my old Bridge and everything should be back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you are happy with your connection quality over WiFi there is no reason not to continue using it.

I’d not get a used Bridge, a Boost uses far superior technology and is a worthwhile upgrade. The difference in performance is worth the extra cost.

You could replace the power supply on your Bridge and go back to using that, Amazon or ebay usually have them, a local shop may be cheaper. Boost would still be better, if more expensive.

Instead of a Boost you could put a One or One SL where you had the Bridge, performance is close and you get sound as well as the connection fir a few bucks more.