Question

recently updated history stopped updating

My “recently played” list  stopped updating. 

I re-installed my Sonos 1 yesterday. All works ok except the history. I have done a forced shut down. Reboot the iPad. Nada. 

Help?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @jacobsca, thank you for reaching out, welcome to the community, and sorry for the late response. 

I would like to know if you see the recently played list before uninstalling the Sonos app?

After the re-install, have you tried to play a song and then check your recently played list? 

Can you please clarify the situation.

Ok. A bit more. 

ive had the Sonos 1 for a while. It’s connected to Alexa. Great. Works really well. I have music services - IDAGIO and Amazon music and all the history was right there. Stations and recently played. All there. 

Saturday Alexa and the Sonos both started speaking together. Bizarre. And annoying. I tried everything I could think of to fix this. Finally I did a factory reset of the Sonos. Back to working great again!

but...no recently played list. I did forced off. I rebooted. Nada. Everything works great but this. 

Even stranger. After a forced reset on both my phone and iPad there is a fleeting image of the old recently played. For a microsecond or less. Then the now familiar “no history yet.”

does this help at all?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @jacobsca, thank you for clarifying.

Yes, and I see now what went wrong; when you did the Factory Reset the cache of Recently Played has also been erased along with your Sonos system settings.

The whole Sonos system is actually saved on the speakers themselves and the Sonos app simply connects and gives out commands to the Sonos system.

So, Factory Resets are not recommended in troubleshooting but rather as a last resort as it erases every setting and information on the Sonos speaker.

Since it already been done, all we could do now is rebuild 

if you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

ok. What do I do now? What is “rebuild” - what can I do here?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @jacobsca, Sorry for the late response.

Sorry for not being clear; when I say rebuild, I meant is to let the recent list build up over time.

However, I checked further for any other information on this issue and found Search History in App preferenceAdditional Usage Data, and Use Personalization Services in Data & Privacy within the Sonos app.

We would need the App preference setting Search History to be toggled on.

In Setting > App Preference.

Then, Setting > Data Privacy > Additional usage Data log in with your Sonos Account and toggle on Data Sharing. (you can opt-out anytime)

Also, make sure that Use Personalization Services is enabled.

Let’s check if the suggested settings will allow the recently played to show again.

Update us with your findings.

Sorry for the delay.

All good now. I cycled the privacy connection and waited a few hours. It “rebuilt.”

Back to where I was before this adventure...thanks for the help.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi @jacobsca, thank you for clarifying.

Yes, and I see now what went wrong; when you did the Factory Reset the cache of Recently Played has also been erased along with your Sonos system settings.

The whole Sonos system is actually saved on the speakers themselves and the Sonos app simply connects and gives out commands to the Sonos system.

So, Factory Resets are not recommended in troubleshooting but rather as a last resort as it erases every setting and information on the Sonos speaker.

Since it already been done, all we could do now is rebuild 

if you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

I have the same problem, recently played list has vanished…….So far no support from sonos

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @arjulaad, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos Community and for letting us know about your concern. We apologize for the late response.

Have you tried to “rebuild” your playlist?

Sorry for not being clear; when I say rebuild, I meant is to let the recent list build up over time.

However, I checked further for any other information on this issue and found Search History in App preferenceAdditional Usage Data, and Use Personalization Services in Data & Privacy within the Sonos app.

We would need the App preference setting Search History to be toggled on.

In Setting > App Preference.

Then, Setting > Data Privacy > Additional usage Data log in with your Sonos Account and toggle on Data Sharing. (you can opt-out anytime)

Also, make sure that Use Personalization Services is enabled.

Let’s check if the suggested settings will allow the recently played to show again.

Update us with your findings.

Please let us know if this works for you. 

If you need help with any other information, please feel free to reach out. The Sonos community is always here to help.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi Rowena, everything is toggled on…….we now have 3 ‘’new’’ entries in the list , but we played more music than that..

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @arjulaad, thank you for your quick response and for updating us.

I'd like to ask some questions to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

1. Can you tell me what are the music services you've added to the Sonos app?
  2. When you check you recently played in the Sonos app, did you get any message? What was the message?
    • My Sonos > Recently Played
  3. Have you tried updating your Sonos system?
    • Settings tab, tap System > System Updates > Check for Updates.

Please submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system. Just include the confirmation number in your response for us to check what's going on.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above. We'll wait for your reply.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hello again,

At one point we were getting that the recently played list was not available and tha we should try again later

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @arjulaad, thank you for your response. I really appreciate you for providing the screenshots and for submitting the diagnostic report.

Upon checking the diagnostic, there's an audio playback error in your system that may cause your Sonos to fail to play a track or the music to stop in the middle or get an error unable to play. 

Let me suggest the following steps to see if this would work for you.

• Change the wireless channel on the Sonos app
    • In the Sonos app > Settings > System > Network > SonosNet Channel > Change the wireless > Set it to channel 6
    • Re-check Sonos performance.

If you're still experiencing the same problem, please contact our Sonos Customer Care support to perform in-depth troubleshooting and understand your full network setup. Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to address the issue. 

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.