Answered

Random unable to play iTunes music

Badge

New Mac, with my user account on an external SSD. My husband has the same setup on his Mac, and does not have this problem playing from his library.

Music will be playing, then stop. When I try to play the next song, there is a long pause, then a long string of “unable to play”. Sometimes this happens when I first start a playlist. Deleting and reloading the music library usually helps. Rebooting my Mac also  fixes it - sometimes. This is happening at least every other day. Help?

icon

Best answer by Annazel S 9 August 2020, 16:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @krez56.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue as well as the troubleshooting steps that you did, let me help and try to figure this out.

Kindly please submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd be glad to review your system further and it will also help in identifying what's causing the issue.

This article provides common fixes for audio interruptions while playing your music library on Sonos. 

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Badge

That may have been an issue with my Mac. Yesterday, it crashed and I was unable to log into my user account. I have restored everything as new, and am hoping that ends the problems playing. However, my playlists do not import anymore. I was able to get my music imported, but no playlists. For now, I got around it by importing playlists (same music) from my laptop, saving them to Sonos playlists, then removing the laptop library (because it does not stay on). Fingers crossed that it works, but a solution to playlists not importing would be appreciated.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @krez56.

Thanks for your response and I am looking forward to a positive result as well.

If your playlists are missing after sharing your Music folder, you’ll need to find the location of the playlist file, and share the folder path with Sonos:

• Playlists have an .XML, .PLS, .M3U or .WPL file extension. (e.g., iTunes Music Library.xml)
  • Once you locate the folder your playlist is stored in, share that folder with Sonos.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Badge

I only have Music Library.musiclibrary, which is in the same folder as Music. I tried adding the Library.XML file I created via export to get my playlists back, but updating the music library with that in there didn’t add the playlists. Is there another way to share that I am missing? Thank you.

Badge

I checked on my laptop, which has iTunes converted to Music, and found iTunes Music Library.xml. Same music and playlists, so I copied that over to my desktop Music folder. After another update, my playlists are back. Though any playlist changes will probably have to be duplicated on my laptop, then copy the iTunes Music Library.xml file over again. Surely, there is an easier way to do this. I just made some changes to my iTunes library, and the only thing that updated was Music Library.musiclibrary.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @krez56.

Thanks for your response and for the additional details.

Basically, Sonos imports your playlists from playlist files in your shared music folder.

If some or all of your Imported Playlists are missing, it means Sonos wasn’t able to find or read your playlist files

We’re you able to save the iTunes Music Library.xml folder to your desktop, then add it to Sonos

You may refer to this article about Imported Playlist for further suggestions that will help you find and add your playlists.

Once the music folder and the playlist folder are added or shared to Sonos, you won’t need to copy the file over again.

Whenever you make changes to your music library like downloading or removing music, creating new playlists, or adjusting album artwork or metadata,

you will need to update the music library index on Sonos before these changes will appear in your Sonos app. 

• On iOS or Android: From the Settings tab, tap System > Music Library > Update Music Index Now, and tap Scan Now

• For Mac or PC: Click Manage > Update Music Library Now and select Yes to confirm

NOTE: Updating the music index may take several minutes to complete.

I hope the above suggestions will help, and if you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Badge

To clarify, there is no xml file in my users/***/Music folder. Yes, I have system files set to display. This is from a fresh start, on a new Mac desktop, where I imported my music files. On my laptop, where Catalina was installed over an existing OS X, I have an iTunes xml file. The only way I could add that to Sonos was to put it in a folder. However, none of the playlists were added.

The only way to add them was to put the xml file in the Music folder. But they won’t play - the music can’t be found. And the file does not update when I change a playlist in Apple Music. The only file that updates is Music Library.musiclibrary.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @krez56.

Thanks for your response and for the update.

Can you please submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number.

It can help us identify what could be causing your issue.

Alternatively, you may wish to contact Sonos Support to take a closer look and discuss it in real-time.

I suggest our phone support because they have more resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting.

They also have a screen sharing tool available if needed, to share your computer screen, and it will be a great help to easily identify the issue.

The toll-free contact number is 1-800-680-2345

Their hours of operations are Mon-Fri 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM EST.

If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Badge

Your confirmation number is: 2121061644.

Thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @krez56.

Thanks for the response and I appreciate your effort in submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking, the system doesn’t recognize the SonosLibraryServer is running.

• Remove any existing SMB shares on the Mac and Sonos app.
  • Navigate to the Sharing section in System Preference on the Mac, then make sure you toggle File Sharing OFF. This forces an HTTP share. Try adding the share again.

Badge

“Sonos was unable to add the music folder”

1002, if that helps. I’m going to try rebooting now.

Badge

No luck, and now I’ve lost all of my music. My husband’s music is still on there. Diagnostics #1136877234

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @krez56.

The Sonos app can show Error 1002 when your Sonos system is having trouble connecting to the music library on your computer or NAS drive.

This usually occurs when the computer or NAS drive is either offline or having trouble maintaining a reliable connection to the network.

• Ensure that the computer has a strong wireless connection to the router.
  • A firewall can block Sonos from properly connecting to the computer. If a firewall is installed on your computer, make sure it’s configured for Sonos by following these steps.

If you are still running into trouble after, I strongly suggest proceeding with the above advice to reach out with our phone support,

so we can continue with in-depth troubleshooting in real-time. The tools we use through live troubleshooting would be very useful in this case.

Badge

This morning, I copied the still-shown-as-iTunes folder from my laptop over to my desktop and got that set up properly. Still no luck adding my library. But adding the ports (FIOS router firewall) worked! Not only did my library get added, the playlists showed up! Fingers crossed that it continues to work.

Thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @krez56.

That was awesome, you did great and I’m so glad to hear that it’s working now.

I am looking forward to continuous progress, and I’m positive about that.

If in case the problem persists or you encounter any issues, you can always reach out to us.

We are always here to help.

Cheers!

Badge

Back to the original problem, which is happening again. A playlist will start, then stop, unable to find any music on it. Diagnostics sent  - Your confirmation number is: 646990882.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @krez56.

Thanks for your response and for the update, my sincerest apologies for the delay in our response time.

Upon checking on the diagnostic report, transport errors were detected by the system, indicates that it is unable to find the source.

This error can occur when Sonos is unable to find the computer or device hosting your music library, this article provides some common steps you can take to resolve this error

Quite possibly, a weak WiFi signal or wireless interference around your Sonos devices could be one of the causes of this issue.

I also noticed that the SonosNet and your router are both set on the same wireless channel (1), which is not advisable for it can cause wireless congestion.

You may try to set the SonosNet channel using the Sonos App, at least 5 channels away from your router’s chosen channel:

Settings > System > Network > SonosNet Channel

NOTE:  Channels 1,6,11 are the best non-overlapping channels.

I suggest to try and test playing on one single player and see if there are any changes before playing in a group.

Hopefully, these suggestions will help to resolve the issue.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Badge

As an FYI - A month ago I replaced the modem, and (knock on wood) the problem has stopped. Now if only my queues could only hold their places (new topic posted).