QNAP 5.0.1.2145 UPdate … Sonos 900 error

• 19 September 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi All , My QNAP just updated and broke Sonos …. Turns out the Update changes SMB settings in QNAP to Minimum SMB2 Solution…. 
>Control Panel > Network & File Services > win/Mac/NFS/WebDAV > Advanced Options .. change lowest SMB version to SMB 1 … click apply … hope this helps someone else 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I assume you’re using a Sonos S1 system, which is the only one that still requires SMB v1?

It is not unusual for router firmware updates to change the version of SMB in use. 

Hello Chris,

Thank you for the post!  I updated the firmware on my QNAP NAS to 5.0.1 after which my Sonos system would not connect.  I spent an hour or more trying to figure it out and finally Googled which brought me to this post.  I followed your instructions and now my Sonos system is up and running.  It’s the first time I’ve had any issues with a QNAP NAS firmware update. 

Thanks again for taking the time to post this helpful tip.  You have helped at least one person!

Jerry

Found the settings as you described but any concern over the warning dialogue?

To prevent malware and ransomware from exploiting SMB 1 vulnerabilities, QNAP suggests using SMB 2 as the lowest SMB version. Are you sure you want to continue using SMB 1?

Found the settings as you described but any concern over the warning dialogue?

To prevent malware and ransomware from exploiting SMB 1 vulnerabilities, QNAP suggests using SMB 2 as the lowest SMB version. Are you sure you want to continue using SMB 1?

You will have to accept it if using an S1 Sonos system, as SMB v1 is the only version of that protocol that the old software supports. A Sonos S2 system supports the later versions of SMB.

Why oh why does it need a user to sort this fundamentally simple problem out?!

I’ve spent weeks and weeks scratching my head as to why the “ERROR 900” fix from SONOS doesn’t work and what I should try instead. Then I stumbled upon this thread. Fabulous advice and only took a couple of minutes to fix.

Many thanks Chris49.