Skip to main content

Hi,

I really hope someone can help. We have a Sonos system in the house set up with 10 rooms and a variety of speakers in each room. Everything is running on S2 app. For the first time yesterday I tried to have music streaming through the whole house and garden. 

Streaming a radio station works fine (eg BBC Radio 1, Classic FM), all the speakers play the same music at the same time, no drop outs or loss of signal. However, as soon as I try to stream music via Amazon music it is awful, constant random rooms dropping out or the volume decreases significantly then tracks skip or don’t play, the whole system stops and the app won’t respond. Switch back to BBC Radio 1 and it all works seamlessly again. I can stream music to a single room no problem, works perfectly, as soon as you get to 3 or more rooms, it starts to happen again.

I’ve tried switching everything off, re-booting, switching wi-fi off and starting again, but it continues to be an issue. I tried subscribing to Sonos Radio HD in the hopes it was a problem with Amazon Music but Sonos Radio HD does the same.

Any help would be appreciated. I did a diagnostic submission 51754664 so hopefully someone can do something and tell me what is wrong.

I can’t believe I’ve invested so much money in a system designed to seamlessly stream music and it can’t do it!

Thanks

Try rebooting your router and Boost and changing the SonosNet channel in the Sonos app.

What internet speeds are you getting from your ISP?

Hi, thanks for your reply, I’ve tired rebooting the router and boost neither of which helped, I’ve not changed the sonosnet channel though. 

Internet speeds are good, we have virgin fibre so it is 200Mbps+

You might also be experiencing some Wifi interference. Here is an article with more troubleshooting tips:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/305?language=en_US

Hi,

I’m not sure why the answer above has been marked as best answer, it hasn’t helped and I still have a practically useless Sonos system which I’m very frustrated and annoyed about.

Can anyone from Sonos support please read this and advise what the issues are from the diagnostics I submitted?

Thanks

Hi,

I’m not sure why the answer above has been marked as best answer, it hasn’t helped and I still have a practically useless Sonos system which I’m very frustrated and annoyed about.

Can anyone from Sonos support please read this and advise what the issues are from the diagnostics I submitted?

Thanks

Hi @iball123456,

I’ve taken a look at your diagnostic and I can see the following:-

• The errors being reported by the players are buffering errors. This means the players aren’t receiving the music in time to keep them in sync, thus causing the dropouts. 
  • At the same time that the errors occur, there’s a spike in interference for a few minutes (spikes from ~15% noise to ~52%); this is likely what’s causing the dropouts.
  • The group you’re trying to play on is rather large - does the same issue occur on single players? Or smaller groups?
  • Does the same issue occur when using Sonos Radio HD? (Specifically HD content)

I’d advise following the guidance in the link provided by GuitarSuperstar to start, and if that makes no difference, I suggest getting in touch with our support team who can work with you live to help figure out what’s happening with your system.

Hi thanks for the response. I’ve tried the fixes in the link where possible with no joy.

It never happens with a single or small group only when 3 or more players get linked. Isn’t that the whole selling point of Sonos to be able to stream music everywhere?

It happens when using Sonos Radio HD content, all Amazon music content. The only time it works is when streaming UK radio stations.

I assume i therefore need to contact Sonos support. 

I haven’t had an o0pportunity to ring Sonos support, but just to make me more frustrated and confused, I realised my daughter had 3 rooms grouped in one part of the house all streaming an Amazon Music HD playlist, while in another part of the house my son had 3 rooms grouped together playing a totally different Amazon Music HD play list.

Both sets of speakers were playing perfectly, not issues at all. The moment I added a 4th room to either set of speakers the whole system grinds to a halt, with speakers dropping out, tracks skipping and no ability to play anything properly!

I really don’t understand why it can’t all be played together!

Any help would be appreciated.