Answered

Problem Sonos S2 --> iOS 14.1

• 21 October 2020
  • 17 replies

Hello hello :slight_smile: . After searching and reading a lot and contacting the Sonos support (useless unfortunately), I would like to share here my problem hoping to find a solution.

I’ve a Beam and a couple of SYMFONISK for the surround. The system works fine, I can connect and control with my Android phone, my Mac and ever send content with Airplay 2 from my iPad Pro 12.9 2nd gen. The problem is the Sonos S2 on the iPad that cannot see the system

I’ve done all the tips suggested by support with no luck. I’ve all the products with the latest SW update, including iOS 14.1 on the iPad, which I think is the problem. I give all the permission, obviously, included the beautiful Local Network. BUT, every time that I open the app and try to Join an existing system, it gives me a pop up saying that I’ve to grant access to the local network to the app. I press ok, the permission is active and after a couple of seconds of searching, it says that is Impossible to find any Sonos product on the network

Another funny thing is that the Sonos S1, even tho it cannot control the system, if I press About my system, I can see all my product listed and detailed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks anyways! :grinning:

icon

Best answer by Rowena B. 25 October 2020, 15:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Just discovers my iOS 14.1 phone can’t see any of my sonos devices either. Was fine on Sunday before the update...

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

My iOS 14.1 device has no issues.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

No problems at all with 14.1 (iPhone XS) and 14.2 (iPad Pro).

Badge

Also got issues with Sonos S2 and iOS 14.1. The app is not updating currently playing when choosing new music, but the music plays in the speaker. If you leave it playing you can’t do anything in the app. Also had one speaker missing. Killing the app and restarting fixes it but it comes back after a few minutes. Worked with no problems a few days ago.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

​Hi @Stuffu, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. I appreciate your detailed post describing the issue as well as the steps that you did. Let me help you with this.

Please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information.

If you need help with any other information, feel free to reach out. We'll wait for your reply.

Badge

hi @Rowena B. 

thanks, sent it in, confirmation nr 1495507248

missing one speaker at the moment. I have stability issues on several devices and others in my household also have issues.

looking forward to a reply! :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Stuffu, thank you for your reply and for submitting the diagnostic. Let me check it for you.

Based on the diagnostic, there's interference in your wireless network that may be caused by wireless congestion; your Play 1's are don't have a connection to the Sonos cloud server. These network-related issues are the reasons causing the issues with your Sonos system. Also, upon checking your Sonos system is already updated. You may just need to refresh the connection of your devices. Let me suggest the following basic troubleshooting to address your concern.

A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.
1. Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
2. Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
3. Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
4. When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
5. Play music from your music service to test.

After performing the steps above and you're still experiencing the same problem, hardwire one of your speakers to your router and observe your Sonos system. Please submit another diagnostic for us to check if the errors have been cleared out.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.

You're always welcome here.

Badge

Hi again @Rowena B. 

Thanks for helping. It’s quite odd, it has worked perfectly before and I could only relate it to the iOS update. Anyway, I have gone through the steps now.

it seems to be working, but the issues has not been constant. I submitted a new report, 1821842622. Can you tell if it looks good? Connection to WiFi should be good on all speakers.

I don’t have the possibility to try Ethernet at the moment.

thanks again for looking into it, and sorry for hijacking the thread :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Stuffu, thank you for your quick reply. I appreciate you for performing the steps that we provided and for submitting the diagnostic report. Let me check it for you.

Upon checking the report, some of the issues have been cleared up but there's still wireless interference in the network. This could be caused by a low wireless range.

The next troubleshooting steps are recommended to address your concern.

1. Change the wireless channel
    • If you have access to your router, change the router wireless channel to a different channel. If your router uses an automatic channel assignment, it is recommended that this be disabled. Ideally, you can select channels 1, 6, or 11 are the preferred non-overlapping channels. Currently, your wireless channel is on channel 8.
    • Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz
    • Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled
    • UPnP should be enabled
    • 802.11 bands should be set to b/g/n
    • Airtime Fairness should be disabled (if applicable)
  2. Identify devices that may be causing the interference
    • Move away from the devices from your Sonos speakers or turn them off. Check Sonos if there's an improvement with the performance.
  3. Hardwire Sonos speaker
    • Wire a Sonos speaker to your router and re-check Sonos performance.

I understand that you won't be able to do step #3, I would still suggest trying it to isolate the issue. 

I after performing the steps above and you're still experiencing the same on the Sonos app, I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to remotely access your device to further check on this. Also, please provide your full network setup including the make and model for each device when you contact them.

If you need help with any other information, please feel free to reach out. The Sonos community is always here to help.

Badge

@Rowena B. Ok so I managed to change some equipment on one of the switches and now have the system on Ethernet instead. Only to loose the sub connection. I only saw arc + ?. Removed sub, tried pairing with arc again but it failed. Factory reset both the arc and sub, sub connects now but still no sound from the sub. Also, it now switched arc +sub to arc + ? again.

report 961810542

Edit 1: now i actually managed to get the sub to show up as expected connected to arc but it’s still quiet. 1316955703

edit 2: going back to WiFi only, the sub is back. Tried switching back and forth between wired and WiFi. WiFi only sub works, wired it’s gone.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Stuffu, thank you for your quick reply and for submitting the diagnostic. Let me look into it.

Based on the diagnostic, your Sonos Arc is wired to your router but the WiFi is disabled on the device this is why you can't add the Sub.

We don't usually recommend factory resetting Sonos products since we haven't identified the root cause of the problem and it may not resolve the issue.

I'd like to suggest the following steps to see if this would work for you.

• Enable WiFi on your Sonos Arc.
    • In the Sonos app > Settings > System > Tap Sonos Arc (the name of the room) > Enable WiFi. The app will show which is currently selected with a checkmark.
  • Now that you have wired your speaker to your router, please change the wireless channel on the Sonos app and set it to 11.
    • In the Sonos app > Settings > System > Network > SonosNet Channel > Change the wireless channel to 11.

Monitor the performance of your Sonos speaker, if you're still having the same problem  I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to perform in-depth troubleshooting and understand your full network setup. Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to address the issue. 

I really appreciate the time and effort you've spent doing all the troubleshooting steps, and it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process. 

Let me know if you have any questions about this. The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Badge

Thanks @Rowena B. well that explains it, guess problem is solved. I believed that I should deactivate WiFi to enable wired connection. But now I know this happens anyway. Thanks for your help!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Stuffu, thank you for your update. I'm glad that the issue has been resolved.

Please continue to monitor your Sonos system. If you encounter any issues, just submit a diagnostic and let us know the confirmation number for us to check what’s going on.

Please do not hesitate to reach out or create a topic if you still have further questions or concerns. 

The Sonos Community is always here to help.

I am having an issue using Airplay from my Iphone X and my Ipad since updating to IOS 14 - neither sees my Sonos speakers.

but my partner who has not updated to to IOS14 & is still using IOS 13 has not problems with Airplay seeing and using the Sonos speakers.

Any ideas

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @BarmiMV,

​Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me ask a few questions to isolate the issue.

• Please make sure that your iPhone and iPad are connected to the same network as your Sonos speakers.
  • Can your iPhone and iPad connect to the Sonos app and able to stream music?
  • Have you tried to turn off and turn on your iOS devices?

To help you check about the AirPlay issue,  I'll be requesting a diagnostic report submitted from your Sonos system. Please don't forget to include the confirmation number in your response to look into your system and find out the cause. We'll wait for your reply.

Please feel free to reach out if you have further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Hi. thanks for the response. Found advise on another site that recommended a hard reset of my device ( should have thought of that first) 

The hard reset worked  at this stage. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @BarmiMV, thanks for your response and for updating us that the issue has been fixed after the hard reset. Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.