Pro-ject turntable compatible with current system

• 16 December 2023
  • 9 replies

Hello! My current set up: Our house has built in speakers throughout. We have a tech closet where all of our components are housed- and our Sonos system is the Sonos connect. We also have play 1 speakers through the house in rooms where we have no built in speakers. We listen to music through the app and it plays to which ever rooms or the overall speaker system.

we are interested in getting a pro-Ject turntable and keep it in our living room. Is it possible for this to connect via Bluetooth or wireless? Since we have a tech closet, I would not be able to plug the turntable into anything ( just an outlet for power) 

is this possible? Also do I need to upgrade to the new port instead of using my connect? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

It doesn’t sound like you own any Sonos speakers that are compatible with Bluetooth. So you would have to add a Bluetooth-enabled Sonos speaker like the Move 2, Roam, Era 100, or Era 300 to share the Bluetooth audio to the rest of your Sonos ecosystem. And you would obviously need a turntable that is also Bluetooth compatible.

A better option would be to get another Sonos device with line-in like a Port or Connect (Gen 2) and connect the turntable via line-in rather than Bluetooth. This will give you more reliable and higher quality audio from the turntable.

Read more here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/listen-to-your-turntable-on-sonos

Thank you for your reply! So it sounds like setting the turntable up to a port( both in the living room) and then the port would connect to my system to play through our existing speakers? 

like  this pic

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Yes, the Port is the cleanest solution, and you can tuck it out of sight too, it doesn’t have to sit out.

Thanks all. Just to confirm that I would plug the turntable into the PORT.  and then the PORT could communicate with the existing Sonos system ( CONNECT) and it would play through out our home speaker system

Yes. Assuming this turntable has a built in pre-amp, and it is turned on. The Sonos is looking for a line level input, and not a phono level input. 

If this turntable doesn’t have one built in, they’re an inexpensive add on that you can get. Amazon sells dozens of different ones. Or your local electronics store. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Cheapest would be an Era 100 with the line in adapter. Much  cheaper than a port and a extra speaker too. Budget £20 $19 for the adapter. 
My recommendation would be to get a Move 2 and adapter. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Lots of options, still think the Port is the cleanest but look at the other options and read up on how happy folks are with the different choices.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/use-line-in-on-sonos

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Since you mention the Connect, of which the Gen 1 is S1 only, do you use the S1 or S2 software (white or brown app respectively)? While the Port is S1 capable it could take you some extra steps to set it up with an S1 system. The Era speakers are S2 only, so wouldn’t work with an S1 system.

Since you mention the Connect, of which the Gen 1 is S1 only, do you use the S1 or S2 software (white or brown app respectively)? While the Port is S1 capable it could take you some extra steps to set it up with an S1 system. The Era speakers are S2 only, so wouldn’t work with an S1 system.

my app is brown…