Answered

Port / Turntable Help!

• 27 December 2022
  • 24 replies

Badge

Hi !

I just received a new Port to work with my Pro-Ject turntable ( purchased at Sonos...)

All seems well, easy to set up and recognized. Line-in is all set up in my Sonos Input Services. Lights are all white on my Port….. I even checked all my System Preferences, and it all seems in-line.

The hitch, there is no sound. It looks like it is playing in all rooms, etc…..

HELP!!

Thx, Jim

icon

Best answer by jgatie 27 December 2022, 21:49

View original

24 replies

Did you choose the Line-In as a source on the Browse menu, after choosing a room or rooms to play to?

Badge

Hi~ Yes, I did, but to no avail..

Badge

...It looks like music is playing by the beat count, but no sound…..

...It looks like music is playing by the beat count, but no sound…..

Try adjusting the Line-In Source Level under Settings for the Port. 

Badge

..Right now I have it as Level 2 - A/V Component. Would that be right?

It varies.  It could be that the Pre-Amp is not engaged and the low Phono level signal is not getting through.  Double check that the pre-Amp is on, and try raising the Line-In level. 

Badge

Hmm.. Okay, I have a Pro-Ject turntable hooked into a Port. No Amp.

And I just tried the Source Level at each number, 1 -10…...

Hmm.. Okay, I have a Pro-Ject turntable hooked into a Port. No Amp.

And I just tried the Source Level at each number, 1 -10…...

Not Amp, pre-amp.  A phono pre-amp converts the RIAA equalization the record is recorded with into a line level signal.  The turntable has a pre-amp switch which should be set to Line.  List the model number and we can tell you where it is. 

Badge

Great. It is a Pro-Ject T1. I purchased it on the Sonos website a few months ago….

Great. It is a Pro-Ject T1. I purchased it on the Sonos website a few months ago….

I have a quick question - where are you playing the TT music to? Is it to a ‘receiver/speakers’ connected to a line-out on the Port, or is the audio being sent to another Sonos room?

That would be the T1 SB.  The switch is on the right side of the connections box on the rear of the turntable.  

Badge

I am playing through the Line-in portion that now shows up with Spotify, Apple Music, etc….

Badge

..so I switched it to Line - out on my TT..

I am playing through the Line-in portion that now shows up with Spotify, Apple Music, etc….

What room are you playing it to?

Badge

AND IT WORKED!!!!! YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU X 1000 TIMES…..

AND IT WORKED!!!!! YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU X 1000 TIMES…..

Glad it helped. 

Badge

Have a great 2023!…

Best,

Jim

I am having this problem, but my turntable is the project debut carbon dc and does not have the switch T1 SB

Anything else I can try?

If your turntable doesn’t have an internal pre-amp, you need to get an external one from a local retailer, or online, and place it between the turntable and the Sonos. Sonos is always looking for a line level input, not a phono level input. 

I have a pre-amp connected to the turntable and the port is connected to the pre-amp.  I can see in the Sonos App that its connected but still no sound

Audio does not automatically pass through PORT as you might expect from traditional audio gear. The turntable is simply an audio source on the network. You must explicitly select this source (as you would select an Internet radio station or audio track), even when listening through an amplifier connected to PORT.

I have selected in-line in the app and it appears to be playing but there is still no sound coming from my Symfonisk lamp

Start reviewing silly things, such as no power for the preamp or using the wrong set of jacks on PORT or preamp. Make sure that the RCA plugs are fully seated.

Start reviewing silly things, such as no power for the preamp or using the wrong set of jacks on PORT or preamp. Make sure that the RCA plugs are fully seated.

Well what do you know! Turned out to be a silly thing 🙈 I thought the RCA plugs were quite loose. Turns out I need to give them a good push to seat  them properly. THANK YOU! 🙏🏽