Skip to main content
Question

Port : digital vs analogue output

• 15 July 2024
  • 2 replies

Question:

I am replacing a few Connects with Ports. None of these relate to my ‘primary’ stereo, so audio quality is important but not enough to consider including an external DAC. 

All the Connects in question were previously connected via Toslink to various amps: an old Marantz, an Onkyo, and an old Cambridge.

Now that Port doesn’t have Toslink, I need to decide if I should buy digital coax cables instead, to replicate the existing setup, or just go with analogue (ie buy some reasonable analogue cables, and use the Port’s DAC in each case). 

Appreciate thoughts on which way to go. 

Thanks

2 replies

I use the analog outputs, variable, as they sound great to me. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Now that Port doesn’t have Toslink, I need to decide if I should buy digital coax cables instead, to replicate the existing setup, or just go with analogue (ie buy some reasonable analogue cables, and use the Port’s DAC in each case). 

Hi @Fg24, I’ve used the Port’s coaxial S/SPDIF output to an external DAC and it works great. The question only you can answer: is the DAC in your receiver(s) better than the DAC in the Port? We don’t know exactly what is in the Port, tho’ it is fair to assume it is ‘okay’.

Should you decide to use coaxial S/PDIF, go to Amazon and check out World’s best Cables SPDIF Gotham GAC-1. Solid construction, great connectors, and super-low capacitance so you can go with a long cable as needed.