Question

Playbase muting randomly and starting

• 3 October 2020
  • 9 replies

My Playbase keeps muting (rapidly on and off) during TV. I have disconnected WiFi and the AutoTV but it is still happening. I also replaced the optical cable. This started about 2 weeks ago and is driving us nuts!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @momsanangel.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post here, let me help and try to figure this out.

To better understand, is the audio cutting in and out? 

Is the issue happening during TV or music playback?

NOTE: When the player is on ‘mute’, the LED light status is steady green.

Kindly submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app when it happens, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd start by reviewing your system as well as the status of the devices, it will also help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

The audio is muting (light goes from white to green) off and on very quickly … then will stabilize .. then flash/mute/cut … then, eventually, remain muted.  This generally happens when the TV is the audio source - TV is connected using an optical digital cable (newly replaced). That said, it will randomly beep and I can see the light flashing green and white - which I now understand is the mute button. I connected the Playbase to router with ethernet and disabled the WiFi.  I have also submitted a diagnostic report (last submission was on 10/2/20).  I have factory reset as well.  Any help would be appreciated!!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @momsanangel.

Thanks for the reply and my apologies for the delayed response.

May I have the confirmation number of the submitted diagnostic so I can review your system and see if there’s anything under the hood causing this issue?

Alternatively, you may reach out to Sonos Support so they can take a closer look at this in real-time and expedite the process.

I suggest phone support because they have more resources and tools available on their system for advanced troubleshooting.

If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.

I have tried the support line - never seem to get off hold 😢

I submitted diagnostics again today, conf# 749717037

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @momsanangel.

Thanks for your response and effort in submitting the diagnostic.

My apologies for the experience, let me check the diagnostic report and see what I can do further to help you out.

I see that the Playbase is using a wired connection directly to the router, but the Wifi on the player is disabled and we don’t recommend disabling the WiFi on Sonos speakers.

Kindly try to enable the Wifi on your Playbase, this article will guide you on how to disable or enable WiFi on your Sonos players.

Hopefully, that helps but if not, please submit a new diagnostic report, I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes, we’re always here to help.

I have re-enacts led WiFi and have resubmitted diagnostics …  now the Playbase keeps turning on and playing random music

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @momsanangel.

Thanks for your response and update.

Kindly provide us the confirmation number that was generated when the diagnostic was submitted, so I can check your system further and if there were any significant changes.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon, and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

I forgot to write it down. I resubmitted with number 735924170

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @momsanangel.

Upon checking with the diagnostic report, I noticed that the Playbase is connected on a different wireless channel. Ideally, Sonos' performance will be best if all devices are using the same wireless channel. 

If all the recommended steps to reduce wireless interference were followed and it doesn’t help, then knowing how and through what Sonos is connecting is the great foundation to troubleshooting this successfully.

• May I have the make and model number of any wireless router and/or Access Point that exist on the network?  It’s best if we can check any known issue or if there’s an additional configuration needed on the device that is essential for Sonos.

• Please indicate also how these devices are connected to one another (wired or wireless).

If you are using a local WiFi network with more than one WiFi hub or access point, I recommend that you can try to switch your system to SonosNet by wiring just one standalone Sonos device to your primary WiFi hub or router, that begins the WiFi network. Attempt music playback, or any other activity to Sonos that was previously failing, and see if the problem will be resolved.

Wait for about 3 minutes, then submit a new diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation so I can check if there will be changes.

Alternatively, though I know that you’ve gone through this already, you may still try to reach out to Sonos Support so they can take a closer look at this in real-time. I suggest phone support because they have more resources available for advanced troubleshooting.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.