Answered

Playbar suddenly not playing TV audio - Still works with streaming.

Userlevel 1
Badge

My Playbar suddenly stopped working with TV audio this week.  I have an LG UK6570AUA using optical out.  This has worked without issue for 2 years.  If I go into the app I can play music.  It will not recognize the TV input.  I have this Playbar set up along with a sub and two surround speakers.  

Strangely when I try to use the volume up on the remote, the LED on the Playbar does not show anything.  But when I press volume down, the LED blinks.   Regardless if I go into the app it does not see that there is a TV source and raising the volume does nothing.  

So this happened for the first time last Thursday.  I reset all connections, power cycled a few times, and eventually the playbar came back.  Today (Saturday) same problem.  I cannot do the same kabuki dance with all the wiring again.  My wife is pissed.  I had to go back to the TV speaker.

I have seen other posts about this problem.  Seems like a silly issue to have.  

Please help ASAP.

icon

Best answer by Patrick Turner 23 August 2020, 17:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Nl87.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thank you for sharing the resolution on what fixed the issue so others in the community that might have the same issue would find this topic and be able to apply the shared resolution path. I do hope that the issue no longer re-occurs for you to continue to enjoy your Sonos. 

Please do not hesitate to reach out or create a topic if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @R_Payne.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Allow me to share some provided information to help.

Here are some posted solutions to help fix the issue.

My Playbar suddenly stopped working with TV audio this week.  I have an LG UK6570AUA using optical out.  This has worked without issue for 2 years.  If I go into the app I can play music.  It will not recognize the TV input.  I have this Playbar set up along with a sub and two surround speakers.  

Strangely when I try to use the volume up on the remote, the LED on the Playbar does not show anything.  But when I press volume down, the LED blinks.   Regardless if I go into the app it does not see that there is a TV source and raising the volume does nothing.  

So this happened for the first time last Thursday.  I reset all connections, power cycled a few times, and eventually the playbar came back.  Today (Saturday) same problem.  I cannot do the same kabuki dance with all the wiring again.  My wife is pissed.  I had to go back to the TV speaker.

I have seen other posts about this problem.  Seems like a silly issue to have.  

Please help ASAP.

Hi I had almost the same issue where everytime I turned my TV on my volume was at zero. And after a hour of looking through the sonos app I stumbled across a TV autoplay button that was off. I switched it on yesterday and it seems to have fixed the problem so far. 

UPDATE on this problem.   I may have solved the issue.  

I purchased some compressed air and a brand new optical fiber cable.  I blew out each optical fiber port with air and installed the new optical fiber cable and confirmed that it snapped into place.  So far I have not had the audio failure problem.  

It is possible that either the optical transmitters/receivers were dirty with dust - and - it is also possible that one or both of the fiber cables I used was scratched just enough to fail from time to time.  

For now I think we are in good shape.  It would be helpful if the optical receiver could provide a singnal level of the input, because optical fiber input levels are very sensitive and if in fact the fiber was scratched or not seated, then the level would have been too low to properly receive.  But without this type of signal level information, I had to replace the cable, blow out the ports, and hope that maybe this is it.  

So for now we are back in business working fine.  For others having this problem, make sure you have blown air to clean out the optical ports and have a nice new cable with covered ends that has not been touched by kids dirty hands or left in a drawer.

Thanks

Patrick

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. We’ll be more than happy to help.

Thanks,